Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2011, 01:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I second Geokilla. Get a buffalo or find a Linksys WRT54GL and put DD-WRT on it.
Old January 29, 2011, 03:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
For the fact it's on sale and that I can plug a usb drive and make a NAS out of it, I got a 4 bay mediasonic I could hook up :)
Unless Linksys / Cisco did an overhaul on how their firmware handles USB drives, I wouldn't count on that feature... On my WRT300N it seems to like losing the connection if I power down the router without powering down the USB drive first. It's OK for occasional use but be prepared to poke your setup (unplug and replug the USB drive, go into the router's utility to make sure it detected the drive) every so often.
Old January 29, 2011, 05:44 AM
Allstar

[quote=Spikemaul;479512]. For the Wii you'll need the Wi-Fi USB Connector to connect it to the web and your PCquote]

I don't get it...the Wii already have a wireless NIC
Old January 29, 2011, 09:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikemaul View Post
For the Wii you'll need the Wi-Fi USB Connector to connect it to the web and your PC

I don't get it...the Wii already have a wireless NIC
Wii doesn't need that adapter in order to connect to a WiFi network. You only need the adapter if you want to do an ad-hoc connection directly to your PC. I don't even know why they sold that in the first place really.
Old January 29, 2011, 09:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

Wifi on the Wii can suck ass anyways I'd much rather hard wire a Wii
Old January 29, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is it possible just to build a firewall router? I used to use smoothwall and then had my wireless router as a switch( I think that what it is called) worked great, I am actually thinking of doing that again.
Old January 29, 2011, 12:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure what you mean, but you can still use smoothwall or pfsense to build your own router (which would work like a firewall when using IP/NAT)
Old January 29, 2011, 03:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ok so basically looking for the best linksys or buffalo router now.

Edit: Also would like to find the fastest router possible to, so when I do eventually get the file server up it won't be slow :D

Edit 2: I'm going to post a few routers here that have caught my eye, tell me what I should look at getting.

NCIX.com - Buy Linksys Expert E3000-CA Dual Band 802.11N Wireless N Router - E3000-CA In Canada. - 300mbps speed and from what I've read is the next gen of routers. DD-WRT Compatible as well.

NCIX.com - Buy Linksys WRT610N Simultaneous DUAL-N Band Wireless Router 2.4/5GHZ 802.11A/B/G/N 4PORT Gigabit Switch - WRT610N-CA In Canada. - don't know the speeds on this but it says gigabyte, also DD-WRT compatible.

NCIX.com - Buy Linksys Expert E2000 Wireless 802.11B/G/N Router 2.4GHZ or 5.0GHZ Selectable Band - E2000-CA In Canada. - 300mbps as well it says, DD-WRT compatible as well

NCIX.com - Buy D-LINK DIR-825 Xtreme N Dual Band Gigabit Router 802.11G/B/N Wireless Router QoS - DIR-825 In Canada. looks fancy, DD-WRT as well and share point looks like a promising product.

Last edited by Blu; January 29, 2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old January 29, 2011, 03:37 PM
MVP

I also went through purchasing a new router recently to replace my still functioning Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato Firmware.

Couple observations:

Any router, even if it has the best hardware base, is at the mercy of it's firmware. I have yet to find a router who's default firmware can match 3rd paty offerings such as DD-WRT, Tomato, ect. If a router is not compatible with either of these 3rd party firmwares I will NOT look at it.

That being said, it will now come down the the hardware specs, build quality & warranty service.

I chose the Asus RT-N16 as my router and am extremely happy with it. I run a variant of the original Tomato firmware called "Tomato USB" and with a usb drive plugged into it I have access to network storage, in addition to the home server I also have, if needed.
I would not have purchased this router if I had been stuck using the default firmware. Being DD-WRT & Tomato compatible in addition to over the top hardware specs which include 32MB Flash memory, 128Mb Ram, a Broadcom Processor clocked at 480Mhz, dual USB ports & gigabit lan ports made the decision pretty easy.

This unit really & actually only shines when 3rd party firmware is used with the factory firmware holding back the units performance. The only negative I've seen is that the RT-N16 isn't dual band capable but with all the other pluses I'm very happy with it.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old January 29, 2011, 05:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnubian View Post
I also went through purchasing a new router recently to replace my still functioning Linksys WRT54GL running Tomato Firmware.

Couple observations:

Any router, even if it has the best hardware base, is at the mercy of it's firmware. I have yet to find a router who's default firmware can match 3rd paty offerings such as DD-WRT, Tomato, ect. If a router is not compatible with either of these 3rd party firmwares I will NOT look at it.

That being said, it will now come down the the hardware specs, build quality & warranty service.

I chose the Asus RT-N16 as my router and am extremely happy with it. I run a variant of the original Tomato firmware called "Tomato USB" and with a usb drive plugged into it I have access to network storage, in addition to the home server I also have, if needed.
I would not have purchased this router if I had been stuck using the default firmware. Being DD-WRT & Tomato compatible in addition to over the top hardware specs which include 32MB Flash memory, 128Mb Ram, a Broadcom Processor clocked at 480Mhz, dual USB ports & gigabit lan ports made the decision pretty easy.

This unit really & actually only shines when 3rd party firmware is used with the factory firmware holding back the units performance. The only negative I've seen is that the RT-N16 isn't dual band capable but with all the other pluses I'm very happy with it.
I think I found my new router :)
NCIX.com - Buy ASUS RT-N16 4 Port Gigabit Wireless N Router with 2X USB 2.0 Ports - RT-N16 In Canada.
I'll probably just connect my media sonic and probably another usb device to it, will tomato usb work If I'm on xp? I seen it's sorta looking like a linux only thing.