Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2011, 09:44 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Network Questions looking for answers

Well I currently have an office network with 9 computers and server. The server is running win server 2003 and I think a Intel Xeon processor of some type. The clients are a mix of older XP machines with what I think is 10/100 ethernet ports in the back. The wiring is Cat 5 (maybe 5e?). There is a Symantec VPN100 firewall (10/100), and a linksys 24 port switch (10/100). I am currently adding some new clients with (10/100/1000) ethernet ports.

I think the network runs slow. My questions are, What is the slow part of the network? Is it the clients, the server, the hardware (Lan ports on the clients and the Linkysys 24 port switch), or what? Maybe it is just the old clients can't process the data quick enough? If I switch the hub out to one that allows gigabyte speed will I see any difference? Would the firewall be slowing the system down? What are the "usual suspects"?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old January 27, 2011, 09:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well I don't know that much about networking, but I do know that if your ISP is slow then it won't matter what your PCs or server is running because it can only go as fast as what the ISP will allow. if there is a way to check from the server outwards then do that to make sure that it isn't just a setting on your server.
Old January 27, 2011, 10:06 AM
Banned
F@H

hmm, define slow for me.

like transferring a certain amount of data from one workstation to the other or..? :)
Old January 27, 2011, 10:36 AM
Top Prospect

I'm assuming that your problem is with slow throughput *within* the LAN.

You need to get some actual performance numbers from the network.

QCheck will quickly tell you the maximum theoretical point-to-point throughput:

Qcheck - Free Network Benchmark Utility » IxChariot™

Then transfer a number of large files between *different* systems (server -> XP, XP -> XP, etc) and see what actual throughput you're getting (use PERFMON or Task Manager) and if they vary.

If throughput is low, try a direct connect with crossover cable between the server and another system (or 2 XP if that's easier), if direct connect is fast then problem likely lies in network hardware. If direct connect still slow try again with clean boots on both systems.
Old January 27, 2011, 12:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCV44.2223 View Post
I'm assuming that your problem is with slow throughput *within* the LAN.

You need to get some actual performance numbers from the network.

QCheck will quickly tell you the maximum theoretical point-to-point throughput:

Qcheck - Free Network Benchmark Utility » IxChariot™

Then transfer a number of large files between *different* systems (server -> XP, XP -> XP, etc) and see what actual throughput you're getting (use PERFMON or Task Manager) and if they vary.

If throughput is low, try a direct connect with crossover cable between the server and another system (or 2 XP if that's easier), if direct connect is fast then problem likely lies in network hardware. If direct connect still slow try again with clean boots on both systems.
Well I downloaded Qcheck and looks like TCP is 80 mbps. I also did UDP (but I have no idea what that is) and it came up with 50 kbps streaming and throughput as 119 kbps.

does that tell you anything?
Old January 27, 2011, 12:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
hmm, define slow for me.

like transferring a certain amount of data from one workstation to the other or..? :)
Well it could be the clients and as soon as I get MiniMe attached to the network I can tell if it is them since MiniMe should be fairly quick (i3-550, 4GB ram, etc).

I gues the slowness issue is opening the program and opening the database and perhaps they are 2 separate things. All I know is when I click on somethign I want the bugger to do somethign and I want it to do it yesterday.
Old January 27, 2011, 12:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

1. replace that linksys switch with something more geared towards business class (something from Netgear (prosafe) or HP Procurve)

2. Slow is this internal lan network speed or access to the internet. Also there is no harm in mixing gigabit with 10/100. Also i would check the cables to make sure they are in good condition.

3. Finally i would also check your firewall to make sure it not doing some funky on your network.

If the speed complaint is due to a slow access to a database it may not be the network at all. It could be the server. SQL databses are fairly intesive and benefit from a RAID 10 Configuration with lots of spindles. (ie disks)

Old January 27, 2011, 02:22 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
Well I downloaded Qcheck and looks like TCP is 80 mbps.
With 10/100 ethernet QCheck TCP should clock in at 100 mbps. Is the 80mbps across the board on different connections? What do you get with actual file transfer -- start Task Manager and transfer a large (100-200MB) file (see attached).

What model is the Linksys switch? As I've said in the earlier message, a direct connect with a crossover cable will quickly tell if the problem lies with the network hardware.
Attached Images

Old January 27, 2011, 05:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

for all we know it's the desktops... (mix of XP machines???)

like dangtx said: "slow what?"
slow internet? slow office 2003? slow copying files from network shares?

"Xeon" something doesn't give us any chance in hell of helping you either.
Old January 27, 2011, 05:53 PM
Banned
F@H

send a few gigs around and see where it slows down...if its on the outside, then take one unit and put it directly on the naked side.

then start with firewall,still no slow down?

then switch.

take it with baby steps and youll get there.