Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2011, 06:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I am mainly talking about intranet speed as I already know my ISP speed is slow. I have a bit more info. The server is a Gateway E9520T running a Xeon 5130 2 GHz woodcrest processor in a 771 LGA socket with 4 GB ram running at 332 Mhz. The cables are cat 5e. the switch is a linksys SR224 10/100 switch. Playing wiht that qcheck program I was able to get 94 mbps from the server to a client. I guess what I am looking for is some ideas as to what the slow parts are and maybe I can't really determine that till I hook up my new machine that I built and see if the dental software loads on that quick or not. Want to click on an icon and have the program come up, none of this hourglass crap. If the program is up quick on the new machine but loads the data slow I could guess it was the network. Right now things just seems slow. If someone says, hey the server hard drives are the slow part then I could focus there, or if someone said replacing the 10/100 switch with a 1000 switch might help I would try that, or if someone suggested a new CPU or MB for the server I might try that. At this point I am unclear as to the rate limiting factors for data transmission and there are so many variables I was hoping someone was very experienced and might could give me a list of things to try. I realize it is hard to give help without being there so I do appreciate all the help. I live in a small town where computer help is few and far between and the help I have gotten has been piss poor. I know enough to mess things up but not enough to get myself out of trouble (usually) but can take directed guidence, youtube videos, or networks for dummies advice. that's my story. I did have a whole lot of fun building 2 computers so far with the help of the fine folks here - thanks dangtx, et al. In a couple years I might even have to overclock something.
Old January 28, 2011, 06:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCV44.2223 View Post
With 10/100 ethernet QCheck TCP should clock in at 100 mbps. Is the 80mbps across the board on different connections? What do you get with actual file transfer -- start Task Manager and transfer a large (100-200MB) file .

What model is the Linksys switch? As I've said in the earlier message, a direct connect with a crossover cable will quickly tell if the problem lies with the network hardware.
The direct file transfer seemed quick and task manager said it was operational at 100 mbps. no indicated problems

Linksys SR224

I am thinking now maybe it is just the old POS clients. I have a new computer that I want to hook to the network, I am just unsure, unfamiliar, etc, with how to do that exactly. I have a friend who says he can help coming the 12th but I would like to do it before that really. Ignorance sucks.
Old January 28, 2011, 06:42 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

thanks for the run-down bonanza

so the target is to get a client/server based dental app to work faster and perhaps have internet work faster as a bonus.

First thing I always look at is DNS, especially when client/server based apps are involved. Throughput of the network could be good, but if there are DNS delays when the client is looking for server then it's still.. um.. slow. Make sure the 2K3 server is the dominant DNS server for the network and all clients, and make sure all participants on the network can run the nslookup applet properly (dos prompt).

Because 2K3 server/XP machines are involved, make sure the 2K3 server is also running a WINS server. This isn't necessary but is a recommended tweak for your environment. Once setup, make sure your DHCP server pushes the WINS configuration to your network clients.

The 2K3 server is also your DHCP server right?

Now for the server... does this dental app use a SQL database on the server by chance? Or is it a flat-file based database. Either or... there are optimizations you can do. Beyond this, most client/server based corporate apps have admin documents that preach their optimal settings, the best ones give insight on what the bandwidth requirements are for the clients, and how much data travels across the network for certain transactions. With this you can reverse calculate if your network is fast enough, if your server is fast enough, etc, etc.
Old January 28, 2011, 11:39 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonanza2000 View Post
The direct file transfer seemed quick and task manager said it was operational at 100 mbps. no indicated problems
When you say direct file transfer I assume you mean copying a file from one system to another through the network switch and NOT file transfer using a direct connection with crossover cable.

If you're getting 100 mbps throughput with real world file transfer then that's the limit of 10/100 ethernet and the SR224 switch. However, in such cases I would expect QCheck to show 100 mbps too.

So just to make sure we're on the same page, when transferring file you're seeing the network utilization/graph portion of Task Manager (arrow) hit 100%, and you're not just reporting the "link speed" stated in the bottom (cross).

Quote:
I am thinking now maybe it is just the old POS clients.
If you suspect any clients being the cause, unplug them from the network and see if throughput increases.

With upgrading to Gigabit/1000 mbps network/switch, you're not going to get a 10x increase. Usually you'll hit anywhere from 200-400 mbps out of the box, for higher throughput you'll need to do some tuning/trial and error with jumbo frames and other settings.
Old February 3, 2011, 04:04 AM
Rookie

Well that can be because of the problem with the client side, maybe it is outdated and cannot handle large amount of data.
Old February 3, 2011, 10:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I think I will know more in abut 10 days. I got a buddy who will help me hook up the new guys to the network and maybe he will have a bit more insight into the network than I. I will report back then.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well hooking up the new computers to the server was surprisingly easy. Making the software work was a pain in the butt but with some tech support I got it working. They do seem to open the software faster than the old machines and definitely whirl less. My network buddy thought was the limited RAM of the old computers was mainly responisible for the slowness, He also suggested replacing the 24 switch from 10/100 to 10/100/1000 since all the machines have gigabit ethernet ports. So well see if that helps too. I found a D-link 1024D switch for $160 which I think will do the job.
Old February 23, 2011, 06:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well the new computers definitely help, I put 2GB (up from 512MB) into one of the other old ones and it made a dramatic difference, and I added a Dlink 24 port 10/100/1000 switch. Intranet speeds are up from 80-100 Mbps to 240 Mbps from client to client and more like 310 Mbps from client to server according to the Qcheck program. Bottom line is a little extra money in RAM and a gigaswitch is helping move the data on the network. Best of all it was relatively painless to do it.