Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Setting up a PS3 for windows media center (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/40101-setting-up-ps3-windows-media-center.html)

grifter11 January 22, 2011 02:48 AM

Setting up a PS3 for windows media center

As the title of this thread states. Does anyone on this forums know how to set up a ps3 to connect to windows media center.

BobLoblaw January 22, 2011 11:51 AM

Here's a video showing how to do it in Win7: YouTube - Share files between PS3 and Windows 7

I think if you have any other version of Windows you have to install a third party media server on the PC side. Not sure though as I had the Win7 ease of use.

boris_37 January 25, 2011 08:24 PM

here's a tip i found the hard way for my ps3.

IF you are doing this for videos, don't even bother with media center, it sucks in every possible way.

ps3mediaserver.blogspot. com

Best software ever. Transcodes and plays almost any video file i've used to date, with exception of x-files i had an issue with. Plays mkv's etc.

I believe it can do pictures and music too but i don't use it for that and probably won't anytime soon. You could try it out.

Also if you want to stream HD content you will need to put your PC and PS3 on wires. The wireless NIC in the ps3 is not able to handle much more than 25mb/s ish. With 720-1080p you will want at minimum 50-60 (wired usually runs 70-80 for me...).

Anymore questions let me know but yes... don't even use windows media, so difficult to do anything with.

enaberif January 25, 2011 09:04 PM

ps3 media server does everything tho some things are a bit more complicated and complex to setup.

headsh0t January 26, 2011 12:36 AM

Media center is teh lamez. As mentioned, get ps3mediaserver or another good alternative is TVersity.

boris_37 January 26, 2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsh0t (Post 478525)
Media center is teh lamez. As mentioned, get ps3mediaserver or another good alternative is TVersity.

Agreed.

I only don't mention TVersity because in my general overview it was not quite as sufficient as ps3mediaserver.

Not to mention TVersity doesn't play a lot of files like MKV's natively. Simply since ps3mediaserver has 2 (or 3?) transcoding engines embedded it will do just about 90% of video files. You can even get subtitles with a lot of videos too if you such prefer, just download the... srt? or whatever the file is from some subtitle website and you are good to go.

As i said i've only had issue with all 9 seasons of xfiles i downloaded and it just doesn't have sound... i don't know why i never really investigated lol.

kyle2226 February 23, 2011 01:44 PM

So does TVersity work at all? I am tired of the "hitching" while streaming, and I have tried using PS3 mediaserver, but my pc and ps3 didnt play well together with it

Thund3rball April 6, 2011 12:37 PM

I've got ps3 media server working and I love it. I have one stupid question though. Do you guys leave it on all the time or just launch the the app when you go to watch a movie or something?

enaberif April 6, 2011 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thund3rball (Post 503556)
I've got ps3 media server working and I love it. I have one stupid question though. Do you guys leave it on all the time or just launch the the app when you go to watch a movie or something?

I pretty much ran the app every time I needed to use it.

The computer it ran on I used day to day and could have technically left it running but didn't.

Eldonko April 6, 2011 12:49 PM

I use tversity for everything, works fine for me.