Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2011, 06:36 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Gaming - Internet Connection options?

I have moved my Gaming PC far away from my modem, the room that it is in does not have a telephone line so I can not move the modem in the room.

Now I am not sure how big of a deal it really is when people say "Don't use a wireless card because of latency" ect..ect.. But I do know that I am a pretty average gamer and I prefer to have as little latency as possible so I perform well.

What options do I have? I can not drag a huge cable through the house because I don't like the look of it, I have heard about these things, you plug one into a wall by the modem connect it to the modem then take the other one and plug it into a wall socket in your room and connect your computer to that so it uses your power cables to make a lan cable or some thing lol. I may be way off here I saw it on Linus's youtube channel once.

That is the only thing I can think of, what are your opinions on the matter any suggestions?

EDIT:*The thing I am going on about is Powerline, The fastest I have seen on shopbot is 200mbps and realistically this means 35mbps (according to the reviews) Speeds may be different in Canada or the US but 200mbps is the fastest I can find so far, but I suppose the thing I really want is low latency..

Last edited by TokeR; January 19, 2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old January 19, 2011, 08:55 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Repeater Bridge - DD-WRT Wiki

when you get it setup, you can hardwire into the repeater.

my tenants always complain about weak wireless connection so i set-up a wrt160n and a wrt54g as my repeater and put the repeater downstairs.
Old January 19, 2011, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would run a wire, and run it as tidy as possible.

If that's impossible, then try your luck with powerline ethernet adapters. They may not work at all. Just remember, if you're just connecting to the internet with them all you need is equal or faster speed than your internet package from the powerline adapters. IE: if you have 15mbit ISP service, then 35mbit from powerline ethernet adapters is perfectly fine. The connection from these devices once connected seems to be stable. Mine has never dropped out, anyway.

Wireless works, then it doesn't. Then it kinda does. If you're going to do wireless then make sure you make you buy good equipment and you're getting good signal. Maybe I'm totally mediocre but I doubt that the latency from wireless is going to make much difference. The difference between wired machines and wireless machines here is about 10ms, which is 1/100th of a second, I believe.
Old January 21, 2011, 12:08 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Thanks guys.

I would prefer to run a cable, but it would be an eye sore because of the distance it will have to travel, It would also be a real pain attaching it to the wall. I don't like wireless because of past experience with connection issues drop outs and it seems to slow down at certain times of the day, Things I didn't or have not noticed while using a cable.

I am thinking of powerline but the house is quite old and has been renovated a few times so I don't know if the plugs by the modem would be on the same line as the ones in this room, I have read that this can cause problems and I am not too keen on buying those expensive things to find out they don't work or have whatever kind of problem.

Also I do not have a phone line in this room or a MINET Internet Jack, which it looks like you need to run a repeater bridge, (Sorry if I am not making sense as you can tell I know very little about this kind of thing).

It is looking like wireless is my only solid option, I am using a Belkin 54Mbps USB receiver at the moment and it is not bad I even had a few good online games in Black Ops yesterday, it stays around 3 out of 5 bars and speed test shows me 10Mbps download 0.80 upload and a 25ms ping, with cable I normally got 15ms ping but I don't know how accurate it is seeing how the host servers probably change?

Thanks again for your help guys.
Old January 28, 2011, 10:54 AM
Rookie

you could use a powerline kit which performs pretty well