Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 7, 2011, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Shaw charging overages, Telus is not - on CTV news.

As you can see here Shaw is now implementing their overage charges for all of their accounts. Meanwhile Telus has stated they will not be doing that as they actually spent money on improving their infrastructure.

YouTube - SHAW on CTV Edmonton

This is one reason why I like my Telus 25MB service, no throttling or overage charges.

You can find it here as well: CTV Edmonton - Edmonton News, Breaking News, Weather, Education, Mobile, Lottery Results, Contests

Old January 7, 2011, 04:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I go way over my telus limit most months and have never been charged a dime for it, nor received any warnings or anything. Definitely sticking with Telus.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old January 7, 2011, 05:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

just stopping them form having to spend money so they can keep it in there greedy little pockets. bravo telus "we have spent 1.3 billion to keep are service up to date so we don't have to do this" building a better business for tomorrow. that's how it's done death to the crtc.
I mean really keeping Canada content Canada are kidding me 90% of tv is american programs the worlds changing faster then the old crtc can keep up with maybe we should start to think of are self's as a united north-america cause that is the facts folks, like it or not.
Old January 7, 2011, 05:59 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
Meanwhile Telus has stated they will not be doing that (YET) as they actually spent money on improving their infrastructure.
If Telus has no intention of charging overages, then why have caps and charges detailed in their plans?

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 7, 2011, 06:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Is this only in effect in Alberta?
Old January 7, 2011, 06:21 PM

My System Specs

It it ADSL. It isn't as if the extra bandwidth a single client uses will affect speed of other clients. If ADSL providers charge for more bandwidth used they really are just thieving from the consumer.
Old January 7, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
It it ADSL. It isn't as if the extra bandwidth a single client uses will affect speed of other clients. If ADSL providers charge for more bandwidth used they really are just thieving from the consumer.
Everyone that I know that has used Telus has changed to shaw because of the speeds allot of my friends used to use Telus because at the time it was allot cheaper but then it took 5 times longer the Shaw to download a 4gb file. Myself I have always used shaw. The only reason I use shaw is because of the speed if there was another company that was ADSL and has close to the same speed I would gladly switch . I am always downloading something from Linux distros to play around with ,to my TV episodes
Old January 7, 2011, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll cancel Shaw in a heartbeat. I'm not ******* around with overages.

OOOH MY SHAW CONNECTION IS SOOOO FAST! Oh wait... overages....

At $2 per GB over my 100GB plan I'd owe $940 this month. I did 470GB over my limit this month. Me, + my 2 roommates, + extra holiday time, +steam sales = overages.

Do you think I would pay $900 in overages? Ever? No. I'll smash my rented modem on video though.....

Edit:

Found some information on the Shaw website

Quote:
If you exceed the usage included in your package, donít worry ó weíll notify you on your next bill and you wonít be charged. After that, you have a few options:
  • Upgrade to the next package level
  • Purchase a monthly data pack (10 GB for $5/month, 60 GB for $20/month, 250 GB for $50/month)
  • Maintain current plan and pay for each gigabyte used over your planís allotted amount ($1 or $2 depending on the plan)
So I guess that puts me at a BARGAIN price of $100 for overages then, plus the price of the internet package to begin with.

Although, I'm an understanding fellow, and I think that's only fair that they should charge me more for my service because they have to pay more into the Shaw pension plan.

Ex-CEO Jim Shaw gets $5.9-million pension - The Globe and Mail

Quote:
The board of Shaw Communications Inc. voted to boost the pension payable to Jim Shaw when he retired as CEO of the company last month (Nov 2010), bringing his pension payments to almost $500,000 monthly.

Last edited by Perineum; January 7, 2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: New Information
Old January 7, 2011, 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

It's only a matter of time before Telus starts charging too. Lets not kid ourselves, its all about making $$$$.
Old January 7, 2011, 09:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't necessarily believe that. Teksavvy could have as well, but they didn't.