Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2011, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
There is plenty for low(er) bandwidth users (like myself) to be happy about when it comes to putting a price on usage. Without a price on usage, folks like myself who don't even have a torrent program installed will end up paying more than our fair share for the upgrades required to service the 24/7 high bandwidth users.

The basic assumption of folks who want unlimitted bandwidth is that the big ISPs will just accept the lower profits.... not going to happen. If they're currently getting a 10% return, they'll continue to get a 10% return, but those costs will end up being spread out amongst all users regardless of actual use.

Why should I want to pay the same price for my 40G usage as somebody who uses 2T / month downloading pirated copyrighted content?
You are never going to pay less. Your base rate is still going to be your base rate. They may charge others more but you'll never see a penny in savings. So essentially you're happy over nothing. The system how it's been over the past 10 years has been the same and it's worked so far. It's only because the internet companies can see the writing on the wall and they know they're going to lose out on other media revenues that they are going to UBB. OF COURSE people are going to flock to Netflix! Digital cable with PVR from Shaw sucks! It's way overpriced, half the content is now commercials. Watching one program means you see the same commercial 7 times!

These companies do not lose money when it's users download. They pay for a connection of a certain capacity, taking into account 24/7 usage. The only consideration that UBB may do is curb upgrades that are needed. If the lines are congested then it at least makes some sense, but that's nothing a good QOS kernel couldn't fix anyway.

So now you have companies making more money but don't have to upgrade anymore, because UBB can be set at whatever level they want. They can keep lowering caps until you are paying overages.

Then what?

The level of greed these corporations have has no limits. The CEOs need their $7m bonus this year, no matter what.
Old January 28, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All thanks to this man right here! Petition to the Governor in Council against UBB - Canadian Broadband | DSLReports Forums
Old January 30, 2011, 04:06 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Write your MP a short note
Members of Parliament
If they are all aware of this when it comes time to vote and the distain their constituates have against it there might still be a chance for some realistic media charges.
Old January 30, 2011, 04:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ya well got the over charging ubb billing options from teksavvy and i am not happy the way there being forced to set it up there no max overcharge so it means if you really want unlimited you have to go with bell/rogers in ontario and just pay the max overcharge. so all the resellers are going to get FVcked by this crtc move. i said it once and i will say it again the CRTC has to go why there even around anymore is beyond me
Old January 30, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by howpet View Post
Write your MP a short note
Members of Parliament
If they are all aware of this when it comes time to vote and the distain their constituates have against it there might still be a chance for some realistic media charges.
Sadly our MPs don't care about this. All they want is an election.