Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2011, 08:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
These UBB tactics kill the free market. Things like netflix are going to suffer because they are going to become too expensive. Netflix is saying 2gb for an HD movie. Pretty conceivable for a family to go through most caps just with netflix alone.... not to mention steam, voip, browsing, youtube, etc.

You see that is the key of it all right there. They have always said it is these few but really heavy users that are the problem and that is why they have overages. But if that was the case then they would have been doing it for a very long time. They have just started to notice that standard users just using the connection for standard normal things like skype, youtube, netflix and such, are now starting to meet or exceed the limits. This means they will have a better chance of nailing more and more people with overages, which means they will start selling them higher plans in order to cover their usage. Of course the higher the limit the higher the speed and therefore the technically easier it is to hit the limit.

And someone mentioned speed with Telus, well I've had 15Mb/s for almost 2 years and now have had 25Mb/s for like 3 months or so. So really speed should not be much of an issue. I know you can get faster plans with shaw since they have 50 and 100Mb/s plans which is great but at $97 and $150/month is is just way to expensive. I pay about $130 for my 25Mb/s plan with my phone and all of my TV as well. So really when it comes down to it using speed as an excuse not to switch just isn't really that valid of an argument anymore.

Old January 9, 2011, 06:39 PM
Rookie

Default on topic sort of....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Everyone that I know that has used Telus has changed to shaw because of the speeds allot of my friends used to use Telus because at the time it was allot cheaper but then it took 5 times longer the Shaw to download a 4gb file. Myself I have always used shaw. The only reason I use shaw is because of the speed if there was another company that was ADSL and has close to the same speed I would gladly switch . I am always downloading something from Linux distros to play around with ,to my TV episodes
Im pretty sure this isnt true. Just about everyone i know is doing a telus promo right now. I switched before that when I noticed my torrents got throttled down to 40 k per sec and my 15 mb connection lasted for 8 seconds and then went to 2 mb. I get a constant 630 k on a 6 m connection. I had never been on ADSL before this switch and had Shaw internet starting in 1998.
What prompted me to change was the fact that my $96 per month package in 2005 was now $186 with out me making any changes except i bought a PVR for $600. It made me think wait a minute. So I filled up my PVR last summer and was going cable free for the summer. They didn't tell me they charge 30 days when you cancel, disable your PVR hard drive and then charge you for the modem that you returned and then put a credit on your account for if you come back.
What prompted me to write this was the fact i just got a flyer saying that there is no penalty for canceling (untrue) Experience internet perfection (except the constant glitches and latency) 15 mb connection how ever you want to use it streaming, gaming, or downloading extra large flyer (exactly what is says... again untrue Shaw uses traffic shaping.)
With AppleTV and Boxee people are going to get dinged with this before they even figure out they went over. Corporations in general have gotten greedy the last few years and Shaw used to be an non corporation corporation but times have changed. It is time to punish them for this.
Old January 9, 2011, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have heard the the "Internet" is free but you have to get to it how in the hell would you do that? I wished I had the tec savy and the funds to do that.
Old January 9, 2011, 07:32 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This UBB is a kick in the teeth. I have a family of 5, all of us are in school in some shape or form. To cut costs down we cancelled our shit cable tv - paying 100 a month to be constantly bombarded with commercials and reruns sickened me, and now netflix isnt even an option.

I dont think its right that we pay 70 a month for our current line, then to be told we have a shit cap and paying 2$ a gb over is robbery. My wife and I both get a lot of our lectures and material from our school via internet(mine in particular are lumped together in 8gb sets weekly), and those can be quite big in size. Thats not mentioning what our kids use for school and media as well.
Old January 10, 2011, 01:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid55 View Post
They didn't tell me they charge 30 days when you cancel, disable your PVR hard drive and then charge you for the modem that you returned and then put a credit on your account for if you come back.
Uhhh, what?

They disabled the HD on the PVR you bought? (IE: not rented?)

I would flip my shit....
Old January 10, 2011, 01:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's still less than videotron...on ym contract it's 4.50 perGB with the crappiest cap I ever saw. 30GB for the High speed, now it's 40GB and yo have to pay 12$ to go up to 60GB ( now 70GB ) But well, Telus are getting more and more in the game for the internet. If they really don't want to add these fee, many people are going to cross to them.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old January 10, 2011, 08:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Uhhh, what?

They disabled the HD on the PVR you bought? (IE: not rented?)

I would flip my shit....

Yep. They claim it is part of their network. I didnt just pay for it, i paid 698$ for it just before the price went to $350. I wont be buying stuff like this from companies again, rent or build my own. I am using Boxee , a TV antenna and Media portal at the moment. Selling it was also a hassle as the person i sold it to could not get it activated until a signed letter went to Shaw stating I had sold it.
Old January 15, 2011, 09:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just realized that I am way behind the times, I thought that it was just last year that I checked the prices of telus and also to see if it was available in my area and remembered that it was like 8 yrs ago hehe . Telus has some good rates for what you get problem is that where my pc is doesn't have a phone line in the room. because I online game I want to have a direct connection to the router.
but I figure that I would be paying very close to the same amount for a fiber optic line then my cable line which is 10Mbs which I download an average of 1.6mbs which is very good . a year ago I was lucky to break 700kbs on great day.
Old January 15, 2011, 10:14 PM
MVP

Does it say on your shaw bill how close you came to the limit?
Old January 16, 2011, 01:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not that I've noticed