Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 26, 2010, 06:09 PM
Rookie

Default Random server not found message

Hi all,

While browsing with firefox every so often (3+ times per session) I get the server not found message. However whenever I hit the refresh button or hit the try again button it load as if nothing happens. This happens on major sites too (Google, HWC, Youtube, NCIX). Any ideas, or tests I can run on my end to see if it is a network problem or should I be contacting my isp (MTS[kind of like bell] DSL) about this?

Thank you
Tristan
Attached Images

Old December 26, 2010, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sounds like a possible DNS issue.

Use a free dns provider and change them to see if that helps.
Old December 26, 2010, 06:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd suspect intermittant connectivity through your ISP. How often does it happen? Kinda hard for your ISP to troubleshoot an intermittant problem unless they happen to catch it while you're on the phone with them.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old December 26, 2010, 06:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'd suspect intermittant connectivity through your ISP. How often does it happen? Kinda hard for your ISP to troubleshoot an intermittant problem unless they happen to catch it while you're on the phone with them.
it happens frequently but with no real pattern. does not matter what time of day or what computer i use in the house
Old December 26, 2010, 06:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd give them a call anywise (today might not be the best day for that though.... ;) ) just in case they can see some noise on the connection, and/or maybe they'll get "lucky" and actually catch it dropping offline while they're testing it from their end.

Does your modem have an indication on the front that it's "on-line"? That would be something to keep an eye on to see if it's indicating off-line when you lose connectivity. It won't always indicate properly, but if it does then you're golden when talking to them.

At the very least, if you call them and they can't find anything, the next time you call them they'll have a record of it being an on-going issue.

If they've got a storefront, they might also suggest swapping out the modem on spec.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old December 26, 2010, 06:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'd give them a call anywise (today might not be the best day for that though.... ;) ) just in case they can see some noise on the connection, and/or maybe they'll get "lucky" and actually catch it dropping offline while they're testing it from their end.

Does your modem have an indication on the front that it's "on-line"? That would be something to keep an eye on to see if it's indicating off-line when you lose connectivity. It won't always indicate properly, but if it does then you're golden when talking to them.

At the very least, if you call them and they can't find anything, the next time you call them they'll have a record of it being an on-going issue.

I will try calling them. yes modem has lights they never indicate that it is offline. Also downloads are not affected (torrent or http) it seems like it just misses the connection with the website it is trying to find is there a better dns provider that you know of?
Old December 26, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try using Chrome for a while, if it happens even more I would say there's definitely a DNS issue.
With the registry hacks implemented in Chrome, any mild or intermittent DNS issue almost immediately results in a server not found error.
I actually had a similar problem with DSL, because the company was dumb enough to move the phoneline switching centre servicing me to about 1000' further from me. (it was already near the max distance which is ~20k' IIRC)
Old December 26, 2010, 06:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd try their default just to see if it makes any difference.

edit: The reason I'm not focussing on DNS is that I've had a similar issue in the past which appeared to be related to upload speed. DL was bang-on 24/7, but upload was very spotty. Fortunately for me it seemed to go away after a while (I suspect there was a problem with the line).

Old December 26, 2010, 06:28 PM
Rookie

alright, I will try the suggestions. probably try the original dns server first as I like and am very used to firefox.

Thank you
Old December 26, 2010, 08:33 PM
Rookie

Update for anyone that cares/has this problem... after trying my ISPs dns (slow) server i switched to googles dns. since then i have had no problems what so ever.

thank you to sswilson, ilya and enaberif for the help.

Tristan