Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2010, 02:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I would have asked a tech but I don't work the right hours to actually MEET a tech in my home.
I have the hardware in place that I don't need the router/modem combo, so I was trying to make the most out of the unit. Aside from firmware flashing it I was getting nowhere with Shaw.

Finally I got in touch with someone that knew what I was talking about, they told me to go to shaw and ask for the docsis3.0 modem, and return the modem/router combo. Voila! Problem fixed. Hahah

This might work for you too Dar_ell. Not sure what Rogers offers in that regard.
I believe the model on this unit is an SB6120.
Old December 10, 2010, 03:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post
I would have asked a tech but I don't work the right hours to actually MEET a tech in my home.
I have the hardware in place that I don't need the router/modem combo, so I was trying to make the most out of the unit. Aside from firmware flashing it I was getting nowhere with Shaw.

Finally I got in touch with someone that knew what I was talking about, they told me to go to shaw and ask for the docsis3.0 modem, and return the modem/router combo. Voila! Problem fixed. Hahah

This might work for you too Dar_ell. Not sure what Rogers offers in that regard.

Why would you ask for the wireless gateway then??? It's an extra $3.95 rental fee for it, if you had your own equipment, why would get one?

As for the OP it is clear that SS wilson has experience with this so please do what he says and call Rogers and get them to disable. Sounds easy peasy :)
Old December 10, 2010, 07:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post

When I left Rogers back in May they didn't have a stand-alone docsis3 modem, and AFAIK, none were in the works. Bridging the router worked 98% of the time, with one percent usually because some yahoo forgot to turn off the wireless function at the same time, and the other one percent being issues with getting a proper signal to the home to keep docsis3 active.... ;)

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old July 16, 2011, 05:14 PM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar_ell View Post
Hey guys recently my family moved to a new house and we changed our ISP to rogers. The roger technician gave us this SMC modem/router thingy, and its been total shit. The model is SMCD3GN, is there any way to disable the router part of it, and then use another router? Can you call rogers to replace this shitastics box with a modem and i can use our good Linksys router?
The modem its actually very good, however; ISP **** the firmware to their advantage. This is how I got my working:

I just got mine today, I could not get to the configuration page, which is ok when the modem is already configured to bridge mode. however; I could nít get my router to connect. I called tech support, tech could not figure out what was wrong, I ask to push the configuration back to Gateway mode, and it worked right away, than back to Bridge mode and this time my router got online right away, tech was so amazed how nice that worked.
Old July 16, 2011, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Old July 16, 2011, 11:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
lol, nice!

I've had one of these for a while (wireless gateway) and it works fine. Consistently getting good results via wireless speedtests.

My first one did have an issue after several months, it kepted rebooting itself. And as far as the firmware goes my one biggest annoyance so far is Qos is not how I want it to be.

Last edited by The Quicken; July 16, 2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: b/c I don't believe in proof reading
Old July 17, 2011, 10:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I encountered packet loss central (between the SMC and my router). It's not until I placed an old spare managed switch between the two that I was actually able to get a solid connection to the internet.
Old September 20, 2011, 07:43 PM
Rookie

I just got one of these modem/routers from Rogers when I upgraded to their Extreme Plus tier. On general principles I disabled the wireless, and the only thing plugged into the Rogers device is my router. I experienced no problem doing this--the login to the Rogers router from "my side" (with the default ID/password cited in this thread) seemed to provide all the functionality of a typical router. I use the Rogers box as the modem only. The wireless and other "router tasks" on my network, I keep on my own box, thank-you very much Ted. (I've also changed the IP address on both boxes, so I can log into either router from any computer on my side.)

Glad of it too. I noticed the following aberrant behavior, and invite comments--have any of you experienced the same thing?

On each of the first two ethernet connections on the box, the very first request to an address "on the net" (Google in my case), returned a ROGERS page instead. Advertising, of course. My Google bookmark took me to Rogers every single time. I was floored. Typing Google's address into the address bar produced the same result. It wasn't until I dumped my browser's cache (Chrome in my case), that the problem went away. Whew! For a second there I thought Rogers was DOS-ing Google! Even Rogers couldn't go that far,...

The first time it happened I had a computer directly plugged into the Rogers device. The second was on a computer downstream of my own router, but on a different LAN port of the Rogers box. (Same fix of course.) Another computer downstream did NOT get the problem. This is why I think it's limited to the first ever access from a given ethernet connection.

Still, I've written the CRTC to see what they have to say about it. I'm keeping the other two hard ports "virgin" so I can prove this behavior if called upon.

Anybody else get this obnoxious result from their Rogers spywa--er, splendid modem/router?
Old September 20, 2011, 07:51 PM
Rookie

Awk! Used my "back" button and somehow got into the wrong thread. Sorry all.
Old September 20, 2011, 07:56 PM
Rookie

Oh, it is the right thread. I guess that's why I'm labelled "rookie".

Last edited by TMA-1; September 20, 2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Uhm, 'cause I'm a doofus?