Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2010, 04:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Help me fix my stupid internet, please!

I've got two computers on a 5 meg Teksavvy connection.

I do not download a lot, but my little sister does (surprise!). I've set QOS to prioritize my computer over hers and limited her downloads to 4 and uploads to 1 at a time.

I am wired directly into the router, she is on wireless. The router is a Linksys WRT54G2.

I'm trying to throttle her connection so that it does not sacrifice my speed for hers, I want the majority of the slow down to be directed at her end.

How can I do this from the router side of things?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 22, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

just set the QoS to max out the upload speed to 80% of your max upload. that's the better solution overall, since you both could still saturate the upload bandwidth. I don't know if you could limit upload bandwidth by IP/Mac .. but if you can, then do that too.

then yeah prioritize your mac address over hers.
Old November 22, 2010, 04:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkStarr View Post
just set the QoS to max out the upload speed to 80% of your max upload. that's the better solution overall, since you both could still saturate the upload bandwidth. I don't know if you could limit upload bandwidth by IP/Mac .. but if you can, then do that too.

then yeah prioritize your mac address over hers.
Perfect. Thanks. I set the max upload.

It's just hard to actually tell if this router is handling her wireless connection the way I want, since the only option I have is a check box for QOS on wireless.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old November 22, 2010, 05:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Perfect. Thanks. I set the max upload.

It's just hard to actually tell if this router is handling her wireless connection the way I want, since the only option I have is a check box for QOS on wireless.
It should be, with that box it should be applying your QOS rules to wireless connections, not just the wired.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old November 22, 2010, 06:20 PM
Banned
F@H

do you have stock fw or ddwrt in there?if not, get the latest, just watch which version hw you got. sp2 works great with the few i flashed it to. helps with bittorrent a lot.

also, it could be on the modem side. some modems crap out under heavy bt use, others give way even under light use. see if you can find a better fw for your modem too.
Old November 22, 2010, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
do you have stock fw or ddwrt in there?if not, get the latest, just watch which version hw you got. sp2 works great with the few i flashed it to. helps with bittorrent a lot.

also, it could be on the modem side. some modems crap out under heavy bt use, others give way even under light use. see if you can find a better fw for your modem too.
I think you're talking about flashing my router?

It's stock, or whatever came with it - if thats what you mean.
Old November 22, 2010, 06:40 PM
Banned
F@H

tes sir. look here : Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com

pop your router model in, and go for your version.

from what it says, as long as its not v1.5 youre cool.

also what modem do you have? look in the interface and theres got to be stuff that can be tweaked, like increasing or decreasing the number of connections. if there is none, look for different fw.
Old November 22, 2010, 11:18 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
tes sir. look here : Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com

pop your router model in, and go for your version.

from what it says, as long as its not v1.5 youre cool.

also what modem do you have? look in the interface and theres got to be stuff that can be tweaked, like increasing or decreasing the number of connections. if there is none, look for different fw.
you can try flashing your router firmware to tomato, it has that free bandwidth limiter per IP or MAC add.
It should help you alot.. However, the method really congests your network if there are more than 7 clients...(I think its becoz of the cpu being overloaded..)
Old November 23, 2010, 02:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks guys! I'll look into these suggestions :)