Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Help me fix my stupid internet, please! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/38205-help-me-fix-my-stupid-internet-please.html)

encorp November 22, 2010 04:22 PM

Help me fix my stupid internet, please!

I've got two computers on a 5 meg Teksavvy connection.

I do not download a lot, but my little sister does (surprise!). I've set QOS to prioritize my computer over hers and limited her downloads to 4 and uploads to 1 at a time.

I am wired directly into the router, she is on wireless. The router is a Linksys WRT54G2.

I'm trying to throttle her connection so that it does not sacrifice my speed for hers, I want the majority of the slow down to be directed at her end.

How can I do this from the router side of things?

LarkStarr November 22, 2010 04:39 PM

just set the QoS to max out the upload speed to 80% of your max upload. that's the better solution overall, since you both could still saturate the upload bandwidth. I don't know if you could limit upload bandwidth by IP/Mac .. but if you can, then do that too.

then yeah prioritize your mac address over hers.

encorp November 22, 2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarkStarr (Post 453030)
just set the QoS to max out the upload speed to 80% of your max upload. that's the better solution overall, since you both could still saturate the upload bandwidth. I don't know if you could limit upload bandwidth by IP/Mac .. but if you can, then do that too.

then yeah prioritize your mac address over hers.

Perfect. Thanks. I set the max upload.

It's just hard to actually tell if this router is handling her wireless connection the way I want, since the only option I have is a check box for QOS on wireless.

Neolithium_Wpg November 22, 2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by encorp (Post 453031)
Perfect. Thanks. I set the max upload.

It's just hard to actually tell if this router is handling her wireless connection the way I want, since the only option I have is a check box for QOS on wireless.

It should be, with that box it should be applying your QOS rules to wireless connections, not just the wired.

_dangtx_ November 22, 2010 06:20 PM

do you have stock fw or ddwrt in there?if not, get the latest, just watch which version hw you got. sp2 works great with the few i flashed it to. helps with bittorrent a lot.

also, it could be on the modem side. some modems crap out under heavy bt use, others give way even under light use. see if you can find a better fw for your modem too.

encorp November 22, 2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 453068)
do you have stock fw or ddwrt in there?if not, get the latest, just watch which version hw you got. sp2 works great with the few i flashed it to. helps with bittorrent a lot.

also, it could be on the modem side. some modems crap out under heavy bt use, others give way even under light use. see if you can find a better fw for your modem too.

I think you're talking about flashing my router?

It's stock, or whatever came with it - if thats what you mean.

_dangtx_ November 22, 2010 06:40 PM

tes sir. look here : Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com

pop your router model in, and go for your version.

from what it says, as long as its not v1.5 youre cool.

also what modem do you have? look in the interface and theres got to be stuff that can be tweaked, like increasing or decreasing the number of connections. if there is none, look for different fw.

chubaka November 22, 2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 453072)
tes sir. look here : Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com

pop your router model in, and go for your version.

from what it says, as long as its not v1.5 youre cool.

also what modem do you have? look in the interface and theres got to be stuff that can be tweaked, like increasing or decreasing the number of connections. if there is none, look for different fw.

you can try flashing your router firmware to tomato, it has that free bandwidth limiter per IP or MAC add.
It should help you alot.. However, the method really congests your network if there are more than 7 clients...(I think its becoz of the cpu being overloaded..)

encorp November 23, 2010 02:39 AM

Thanks guys! I'll look into these suggestions :)