Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

Default wireless router opinion

hi guys, just wondering ifthis router is worth? NCIX.com - Buy D-LINK DGL-4500 Xtreme N 802.11B/G/N Gaming Router Triple Antenna Gigabit GameFuel LCD USB - DGL-4500 In Canada.
if so, why? if not, any sugestions?
thanks
Old November 12, 2010, 12:09 PM
Top Prospect

Don't think that router is 802.11n certified by the WiFi Alliance, which mean it uses a cheap single stream 802.11n chipset (guess the money went to the LCD screen instead).

Check the specs of the D-Link DIR-655 or DIR-665 both of which has the n certification. When shopping for 802.11n routers/APs, or checking specs online, note the purple "n" on the right side of the WiFi Alliance certification logo.
Old November 12, 2010, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

it's a decent routeur but for the same price you can get this one. Which is WAY better and can also be flashed with linux for even more networking option. The stock firmware is alreadyd eadnice so I don't think you will need more.
Also, you don't waste money on a LCD that does nothing.

Newegg.ca - NETGEAR WNDR3700-100NAS 802.11a/b/g/n Rangemax 2.4/5GHz Simultaneous N600 Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Router/ USB port

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 13, 2010, 03:59 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCV44.2223 View Post
Don't think that router is 802.11n certified by the WiFi Alliance, which mean it uses a cheap single stream 802.11n chipset (guess the money went to the LCD screen instead).

Check the specs of the D-Link DIR-655 or DIR-665 both of which has the n certification. When shopping for 802.11n routers/APs, or checking specs online, note the purple "n" on the right side of the WiFi Alliance certification logo.
...it's still draft-n
Old November 13, 2010, 12:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
...it's still draft-n
After 802.11n was rectified last year the WiFi Alliance added 4 *optional* components for certification of the full 802.11n standard -- triple streams, aggregation, 40MHz coexistence and space-time block coding. Any equipment that was certified under draft 2.0 of 802.11n do not need to be re-certified and can remove "draft" from their certification logo.

WiFi Alliance certification is pretty basic requirement -- for me anyways -- if something is marketed as "Wireless-N" and WiFi certification is not listed on their spec sheet then I'm going to pass.

Once you've narrowed down the options you can then pull the products' WiFi certificates and check if they include features that are important to you, for example, the up coming Linksys/Cisco E4200 has most of the added optional capabilities. But of course having the specs on paper is no guarantee of performance.
Attached Images

Old November 13, 2010, 07:21 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
After 802.11n was rectified last year the WiFi Alliance added 4 *optional* components for certification of the full 802.11n standard -- triple streams, aggregation, 40MHz coexistence and space-time block coding. Any equipment that was certified under draft 2.0 of 802.11n do not need to be re-certified and can remove "draft" from their certification logo.

WiFi Alliance certification is pretty basic requirement -- for me anyways -- if something is marketed as "Wireless-N" and WiFi certification is not listed on their spec sheet then I'm going to pass.

Once you've narrowed down the options you can then pull the products' WiFi certificates and check if they include features that are important to you, for example, the up coming Linksys/Cisco E4200 has most of the added optional capabilities. But of course having the specs on paper is no guarantee of performance.
Ok... so what's your point? You've just explained a standard... you could have talked about spatial multiplexing, OFDM, etc and it wouldn't have changed anything.

The router he was referring too seemed like a small dual-band draft n router with 'basic n' capability and that's about it. I don't see the point in starting to explain all of this especially when the question was about if the router was worth buying
Old November 15, 2010, 03:36 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1dget View Post
Ok... so what's your point? You've just explained a standard... you could have talked about spatial multiplexing, OFDM, etc and it wouldn't have changed anything.
Sorry you found it pointless, my apologies. I just thought others were looking for something more informative and up-to-date than "it's still draft-n"...
Old November 15, 2010, 04:00 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Sorry you found it pointless, my apologies. I just thought others were looking for something more informative and up-to-date than "it's still draft-n"...
Ok well next time I'll copy and paste my 802.11 Wireless Networking: The Definitive Guide pdf so whoever asks a question may receive a more informative (and oh so effin pointless) answer.

...that or make a nice summary of a wikipedia page about the subject
Old November 22, 2010, 02:30 AM
Banned

holy shit, the hostility...
Old November 22, 2010, 09:45 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

nah, that was just a bunch of pointless post that started with useless information that were nearly OT... don't mind then if you prefer :p

I don't work with consumer stuff usually so I can't be of any great help, but you should stick to the consumer router suggestion at the top.