Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2010, 04:26 PM
Top Prospect

Default Network Security and Windows Homegroup

I recently installed Windows 7 and setup the Network Homegroup with my desktop, a printer and netbook. No problems with the setup and file sharing works ok. Other than the protection on my router, should I be worried about security on the Windows Homegroup ?? I have Zone Alarm running on both the desktop and the netbook.
Thanks.
Old November 6, 2010, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As long as you have a proper firewall set up with your router then you should be fine. Also unless Zone alarm has really improved over the last couple years I would remove that as it always caused me more problems than it is worth, IMHO. Anyways if you have the router firewall then you shouldn't even need zone alarm.

Old November 9, 2010, 01:59 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
As long as you have a proper firewall set up with your router then you should be fine. Also unless Zone alarm has really improved over the last couple years I would remove that as it always caused me more problems than it is worth, IMHO. Anyways if you have the router firewall then you shouldn't even need zone alarm.
Thanks. I have Zone Alarm running like a charm - no issues at all. What problems did you have?
Old November 9, 2010, 06:44 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malam View Post
Thanks. I have Zone Alarm running like a charm - no issues at all. What problems did you have?

Last time i was using ZA, it keeps blocking my steam and i had a problem connecting on the internet. Then again, this was 2+ years ago and i was running XP Pro.

Ever since i ran Vista HP and Win 7 HP, i just used windows firewall and it served me well currently (knock on wood).

Gaming Rig:

-Swiffy MCP35x X2 & 240 Rad, (2) 480 EX XSPC Rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.7 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit

HTPC Rig:

-AMD 1100T, Gigabyte UD5, 16 GB G.Skill RAM, Asus 650ti Boost, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Antec 650 watt PS, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old November 10, 2010, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

Zone Alarm is a piece of steamy crap.

If your using a router you'll be more than fine.

You don't need to worry so much about incoming traffic as outgoing traffic and if you suspect your outgoing traffic to be in trouble then you have bigger problems.
Old November 10, 2010, 10:14 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Zone Alarm is a piece of steamy crap.

If your using a router you'll be more than fine.

You don't need to worry so much about incoming traffic as outgoing traffic and if you suspect your outgoing traffic to be in trouble then you have bigger problems.
I am keeping an eye on what software I have in my system since I installed Win 7 clean. I might switch back to Kaspersky soon . Looks like there is a proce drop at Future Shop.
Old November 10, 2010, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malam View Post
I am keeping an eye on what software I have in my system since I installed Win 7 clean. I might switch back to Kaspersky soon . Looks like there is a proce drop at Future Shop.
What I'm saying is that you don't need a software based firewall if you have a router between you and your internet provider.

They just add overhead that isn't needed.
Old November 10, 2010, 10:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Give COMODO Internet Security a spin. I originally used just the firewall component with Antvir as my antivirus, but I now use the COMODO security suite exclusively. Great piece of software. No need to buy security software for home use, in my opinion.
Old November 10, 2010, 12:18 PM
Top Prospect

Firewall that monitor application outbound traffic is high maintenance and can often cause problems. There are situations where they can augment systems protection against attacks, and years ago they were the only tools available, so arguably using them was worth the trouble. But nowadays there are better things you can use with less potential for causing problems.

Unlike XP, Vista and W7 built-in firewall is capable of filtering outbound traffic -- but it is by default disabled -- so even if you feel you need outbound filtering, e.g., to prevent some apps from automatically phoning home, you don't need to use a third party firewall.

If you are using an AV that actively scans HTTP traffic like Kaspersky, all the traffic may appear to the firewall to be originating from the AV thus rendering application outbound monitoring useless.

For mobile systems such as your netbook, you do want to make sure that you have a firewall running since it may not always be connected to your own private network, Windows firewall is good enough for that.

For desktops systems, I keep the Windows firewall on even though I'm behind a hardware firewall, but others feel that its not needed.
Old November 10, 2010, 12:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCV44.2223 View Post
Firewall that monitor application outbound traffic is high maintenance and can often cause problems. There are situations where they can augment systems protection against attacks, and years ago they were the only tools available, so arguably using them was worth the trouble. But nowadays there are better things you can use with less potential for causing problems.

Unlike XP, Vista and W7 built-in firewall is capable of filtering outbound traffic -- but it is by default disabled -- so even if you feel you need outbound filtering, e.g., to prevent some apps from automatically phoning home, you don't need to use a third party firewall.

If you are using an AV that actively scans HTTP traffic like Kaspersky, all the traffic may appear to the firewall to be originating from the AV thus rendering application outbound monitoring useless.

For mobile systems such as your netbook, you do want to make sure that you have a firewall running since it may not always be connected to your own private network, Windows firewall is good enough for that.

For desktops systems, I keep the Windows firewall on even though I'm behind a hardware firewall, but others feel that its not needed.
Does the thirdparty software firewall prevent inbound attacks then, or is the combination of a router and the Windows firewall all theat is needed ? This leaves only the need for an anitvirus software..??