Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2010, 01:50 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default I Need a Gigabit wireless/Internet Router for small apartment

I Need a Gigabit wireless/Internet Router for small apartment, as the title states i need a new router, i have my modem in the den with my main rig hard wired (older dlink wireless router) I have 1 laptop, 1 living room htpc, 1 bedroom htpc and 3g devices like Iphones. i want something with the best possible wireless connection/strength. all walls are concrete .attached here is a layout of my apartment for reference.

Any suggestions? I want something i can possibly manage bandwidth on, Like laptop, and HTPC's have browsing only and main PC has downloading etc..

Old November 3, 2010, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy EnGenius EUB-9855G Wireless N Gigabit Gaming Router 802.11B/G/N 300MBPS SmartNAT - ESR9855G In Canada.

This?
Old November 3, 2010, 01:57 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

im looking for suggestions, i was looking at the linksys cisco ones. but really have no idea which router will provide me with awesom signal strentgh throughout the apartment as well as gigabit wired. i mean that one looks good, but is it ? you tell me
Old November 3, 2010, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll tell you in a week when I get home. I have one BNIB at home to replace a D-Link.
Old November 3, 2010, 03:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

ASUS RT-N16 w/ DD-WRT? Mines been solid thus far.

I'd relocate the router to the Dining Room PC though so that it's in the middle of the apartment. Better signal for you. In your Den, most of the signal is going out into the hallway...
Old November 3, 2010, 03:39 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

i know, but that's where i need to be hard wired. maybe ill hang the router on the wall just outside the den.
Old November 3, 2010, 08:10 PM
Top Prospect

Odds are your neighbours have WLANs. Download a Wifi scanner and see what kind of signal strength you're getting from *their* APs:

inSSIDer Wi-Fi Scanner | MetaGeek

If you're getting good signal strength (pick the strongest AP when you're in the den and see what in does in other locations) and/or that they are fairly constant in the other areas of your apartment, then running an AP from your den may not be a problem.

If signal strength is bad or degrades badly, I'd recommend buying the router from somewhere with a good return policy and trying them out in situ. As to which is better Small Net Builder has reviews on many:

Wireless / Wi-Fi Performance Comparison Charts - [Open Air] 2.4 GHz Downlink Average Throughput - SmallNetBuilder
Old November 4, 2010, 10:49 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

thanks for the replies, time to do my homework now.