Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Switch to Teksavvy or Acanac? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/37633-switch-teksavvy-acanac.html)

geokilla November 2, 2010 01:45 PM

Switch to Teksavvy or Acanac?
 
I'll be ditching Rogers by the end of the year and I need a new cable ISP provider. I've been looking to switch to Teksavvy Express or Extreme service, but after seeing Acanac, they have won me over. Only concern I got is that we have to pay up front and sign a one year contract. From what I've read, they are reselling Distributel/3web. However their support is terrible.

Should I switch to Teksavvy or Acanac? Below are the respective ISP sites and the RFD discussion thread for Acanac.

TekSavvy

Acanac High Speed Internet Cable

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/acana...ario-o-959308/

stoanee November 2, 2010 03:09 PM

When my son moved out 2 years ago I recommended Teksavvy dry dsl because he and his wife did not want a land line. I based my recommendation on the positive feedback Teksavvy had. Well, after 2 years of mediocre and then terrible service, he switched to Shaw and is much happier with the service. Teksavvy would have unexplained outages, sometimes for two weeks and the service was terrible. Not sure why it turned out that way but I will not recommend them to anyone again.

On the Lam November 2, 2010 05:06 PM

Wow, Acanac has cable now? I'm currently on year 2 with Acanac DSL with dry loop. Happy with their service so far; unlimited bandwidth is awesome.

I just checked the forums, looks like people also want to switch from DSL, and it looks like Acanac will credit the customer for unused portions into the new service.

Thanks for pointing this out!

geokilla November 2, 2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by On the Lam (Post 445465)
Wow, Acanac has cable now? I'm currently on year 2 with Acanac DSL with dry loop. Happy with their service so far; unlimited bandwidth is awesome.

I just checked the forums, looks like people also want to switch from DSL, and it looks like Acanac will credit the customer for unused portions into the new service.

Thanks for pointing this out!

What forum?

Do you know what happens if I "break" the contract early?

Right now, to me Teksavvy is tried and true while Acanac, well I just heard of them now. They do seem to offer a lot more features than what Teksavvy does. But it's the poor support and relatively new into cable service that has me worried as it's taken a lot to convince my mom to ditch Rogers. Heck she still wants to stay with Rogers >.>

On the Lam November 2, 2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 445500)
What forum?

Acanac has a discussion forum too - it seems others have already asked about switching from DSL whether they'd be credited for what they've already prepaid (Acanac bills you for one whole year in advance) for DSL it would be the monthly service, plus dry loop if applicable:

https://community.acanac.com/acanac/...7224&start=285

vohiep84 November 2, 2010 07:21 PM

Thanks for the heads up OP! :thumb:

I was waiting for Teksavy to come to my area with their unlimited cable services and now I find that Acanac is available in my area and offering unlimited at a lower price.

However, I will wait and see what new customers are saying around my area before deciding to switch.

JD November 2, 2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoanee (Post 445400)
Teksavvy would have unexplained outages, sometimes for two weeks and the service was terrible. Not sure why it turned out that way but I will not recommend them to anyone again.

To be fair, it's typically out of their control. Bell/Rogers ultimately is the ones in charge of things.

Any maintenance that Teksavvy does is always notified a few weeks in advance.

However, not sure how Acanac compares. I'm guessing it's about the same as they're just sharing network space too. I'd support Teksavvy just for having a grounded CEO that's oriented towards helping consumers regain Internet freedom in Canada, but that's just me.

Either way, with any wholesale ISP, I would suggest not relying on it for 24/7 uptime. Always have a backup connection (be it 3G, DSL or Cable) if you need Internet.

geokilla November 2, 2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 445571)
To be fair, it's typically out of their control. Bell/Rogers ultimately is the ones in charge of things.

Any maintenance that Teksavvy does is always notified a few weeks in advance.

However, not sure how Acanac compares. I'm guessing it's about the same as they're just sharing network space too. I'd support Teksavvy just for having a grounded CEO that's oriented towards helping consumers regain Internet freedom in Canada, but that's just me.

Either way, with any wholesale ISP, I would suggest not relying on it for 24/7 uptime. Always have a backup connection (be it 3G, DSL or Cable) if you need Internet.

Um unless this happened a while back... GRATS ON BEING MOD!

Yea I got two 6GB data plans, so I'm fine if there's ever downtime. Only problem is that only one of the 3G phones can tether lol.

Anyways some things got cleared up and right now, Acanac is looking to be very good. However I don't want to be the early adopter, so I'll let others try it out first :biggrin:

chrisk November 2, 2010 09:27 PM

$40 per month for unlimited bandwidth and 15gb down/1 gb up speeds look good to me. I would probably go with a 6 month term for Acanac, just to test them out (making the service $43/month).

Not available in Ajax yet...I'll probably go with TS or Acan...whoever gets here first!

geokilla November 2, 2010 10:31 PM

Only problem is that if you go with Acanac, you're an early adopter... Who knows what kinda problems they got right now, and what support they have.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:41 AM.