Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 10, 2010, 05:48 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Problems with Telus' D-Link D-link DVA G3810BN - extra router?

The problem is... it simply sucks!
Before I had only my internet with telus and had Siemens SE567, it was pretty good, range was ok, I had to restart it once in a while, but it wasn't much of a problem.

Well, now I have TV+Internet from Telus and they gave me D-link DVA G3810BN router, and it's just terrible. There are 3 frequencies availble + Automatic, I have 1 tower on wire, and 2 laptops and 1 tower on wireless, connected to this crap, it keeps disconnecting computers on random basis. Sometimes it's ok for a longer time, and one day it's disconnecting again, and I have to play around with these frequencies, as they sometimes work for all computers, and sometime none of them wants to work properly. Telus technician gave me a range booster (huge antenna), didn't help a lot. Range is still really bad, most of the time, it is usually 2 bars on my Windows 7 tower pc, but sometimes it jumps up, and now it is 3-4 bars.

So my question is, is there a way to connect another router and use it for wireless internet only, and use the D-Link for TV and the Ethernet connected tower?
Old October 11, 2010, 02:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I tried doing something similar, but haven't had much success. I'd really like to hear a solution, because I have the exact same router, and the exact same problems.

This router is terrible for wireless access, and if anyone is considering Telus TV, I would strongly urge that you demand Telus offer another solution, or simply not go with it until they change the router.
Old October 11, 2010, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Unfortunetly I think that is the only option currently for the new installs of Optik TV. I know for wired it has worked out well and kept my speeds up, now as for wireless there hasn't been much for drop outs, but there has been another issue. I have found that my windows 7 homegroup doesn't work right anymore. I have no issue with it on wired to wired machines, or wireless to wireless, but between wired and wireless they don't want to talk right. I know that I can access network drives and such without issue, but homegroup nope. They just don't see each other.

I'm pretty sure there is a way to do this I just can't remember how. Check out this site: Telus forum - dslreports.com broadband community
They have good info in some of those posts and it where I have gotten most of my information.

Old October 11, 2010, 09:41 PM

My System Specs

Can you not just create a DMZ w/ the Telus router. Connect your router, then use it for your wireless and network.
Old October 13, 2010, 08:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Can you not just create a DMZ w/ the Telus router. Connect your router, then use it for your wireless and network.
I have the router, and this is exactly what you need to do to make the modem usable. Even then, it's horrendous, and starts flaking out if you put any kind of real connection load on it.
Old October 14, 2010, 10:26 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayah View Post
I have the router, and this is exactly what you need to do to make the modem usable. Even then, it's horrendous, and starts flaking out if you put any kind of real connection load on it.
That isn't something I didn't want to hear. I was planning on grabbing Optik when it was available here.
Old October 19, 2010, 02:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
That isn't something I didn't want to hear. I was planning on grabbing Optik when it was available here.
If you're getting Optik, you should be able to request the ALU modem. I've only got the cheapo 6mbps dsl.
Old December 29, 2010, 09:58 AM
Rookie

That is me again.
I made very important observation. Windows 7 is the problem. I was running Ubuntu 10.10 for about a month, and had not a single problem with the router, link quality always on high, no droppings.
Few days ago I bought a new hard drive and installed 7 Ultimate, problems are back...
Now, this is probably compatibility issue, so any ideas?
Old January 4, 2011, 12:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

if can get in isp router's setup to record isp info, other call isp for info

best way to go is, working internet connection, run ipconfig get info for to add in your own router's(Dlink DIR-601) setup domain

then add DIR-601 configed unit to network(phone/cable>isp modem>your router>computer), just power cycle isp modem/router, and reboot your computer

then secure wireless network by adding each laptop using the lan connection(wired to laptop) and push the setup button on DIR-601 then connect wireless on laptop ;)

add dir601 as wireless statilite

DVA-G3810BN Wireless Home Network | Internet | Help | TELUS
1 10/100 RJ-45 WAN Port
4 10/100 RJ-45 LAN Ports

PC tower .....? that your HTPC . whats connected in your network 2 Lt, htpc, xbox, pc, linux, dtv, bluRay, music cast?

Last edited by KaptCrunch; January 4, 2011 at 07:47 AM.