Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 5, 2010, 02:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Getting internet to an obscure corner of my house

Hi guys,
I've been trying to think of a way to get internet into the basement, and for the most part my wireless router covers the whole area. However, the one room where my Xbox is has no wireless whatsoever. The Xbox is used for both Netflix streaming and Halo Reach online. Any ideas?
Old October 5, 2010, 02:57 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I use this for my PS3:
NCIX.com - Buy Linksys PLK300 Powerline AV Network Kit 200MBPS W/ 4PORT and 1PORT Modules - PLK300 In Canada.

Very reliable for me so far. There are cheaper solutions in the Powerline networking section of NCIX, but I liked how this particular kit used a cord to plug in the wall (I wanted to avoid plugging in a big adapter).
Fold for team #54196
Old October 5, 2010, 03:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Drill a hole in the floor and run a cable!

Otherwise that powerline networking stuff should do. Never used it personally though.
Old October 5, 2010, 06:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I wish running a cable was an option, normally I swear by hardwiring. However, the Xbox is literally on the other side of the house. 3 Floors down, and in the opposite corner from the router. It's nigh on impossible to run a cable through he areas it would need to traverse.

How is latency on powerline? I've heard it's quite high, but that might've been an older unit.
Old October 5, 2010, 06:42 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix View Post
I wish running a cable was an option, normally I swear by hardwiring. However, the Xbox is literally on the other side of the house. 3 Floors down, and in the opposite corner from the router. It's nigh on impossible to run a cable through he areas it would need to traverse.

How is latency on powerline? I've heard it's quite high, but that might've been an older unit.
Never tested latency. I actually don't game on the PS3, but lots of movies and such. Downloads are fast, and much better than the wireless. Here is a review:
PC Perspective - Linksys PLK300 Powerline Networking Kit Review - End of Ethernet?

Some of the user comments mention low latency here:
Cisco-Linksys PLK300 PowerLine AV Ethernet Adapter Kit | About IT
Fold for team #54196
Old October 5, 2010, 06:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sounds promising, I'll need to do more research.

What about a wireless bridge? I could put it somewhere with good reception, and then wire it the last couple metres to the Xbox.
Old October 8, 2010, 04:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:

how old is the home, are you renting ? can use phone lines if home is wired

D-link DHN 1000 (DHN-1000) Bridge

The DHN-1000 is a 10Mb HomePNA 2.0 to 10/100 Ethernet Bridge. It provides a single RJ-11 to be connected via normal home phone line wiring.
The DHN-1000 is a 10Mb HomePNA 2.0 to 10/100 Ethernet Bridge. It provides a single RJ-11 to be connected via normal home phone line wiring to an existing HomePNA 1.0, 2.0 network or network interface card and a single RJ-45 NWAY auto sensing 10/100 Ethernet port. It bridges traffic between an Ethernet capable device and HomePNA 1.0 or 2.0 device network. The DHN-1000 is targeted at Broadband Service Providers, Broadband consumers, and IS Managers for Residential, Business, and Multi-Tenant Unit network installations where in wall wiring can be more effectively used to pass data to and from Cable/DSL modems and routers, workstations, and/or servers.??The DHN-1000 utilizes an 80 Mhz processor to provide line speed conversion of Ethernet and HomePNA packets. The HomePNA interface is rate adaptive, ensuring the highest speed data transfers for both HomePNA 1.0 and HomePNA 2.0 traffic. As a layer 2 device, the DHN-1000 is both protocol and application independent, utilizing the hardware.
Old October 14, 2010, 11:21 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Sounds promising, I'll need to do more research.

What about a wireless bridge? I could put it somewhere with good reception, and then wire it the last couple metres to the Xbox.
A bridge would be my solution. Most routers support this feature though loading 3rd party firmware might be necessary (or preferable). I just moved into a new place and picked up two N routers off CL for $30/each, loaded them with dd-wrt and set them up as a client bridge. Great signals all through the house. I'd look to try an easy cheap solution like this before spending $150 a bridge.