Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2010, 08:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Best Wireless Adapter?

Hey Guys,

I just wanna know, give me some advice about this adapter? I'm planning to go wireless on my rig.
Is this best enough for games?
I'm looking at this
NCIX.com - Buy D-LINK DWA-552 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter 802.11B/G/N Triple Antenna PCI Adapter - DWA-552 In Canada.
Old October 2, 2010, 09:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's a decent card if you have a D-Link router, not so good with a linksys or Cisco. I've had issues getting other brands of wireless cards connect to Cisco/Linksys routers.
Old October 2, 2010, 10:03 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
It's a decent card if you have a D-Link router, not so good with a linksys or Cisco. I've had issues getting other brands of wireless cards connect to Cisco/Linksys routers.

Yes i do have a D-Link Router. So this is the best option/adapter i could get in the market?
EVGA 570HD
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
1TB WD Black
NZXT Phantom White (Full Fan Upgrade)
Silverstone Strider 850w (GOLD)
Windows 7 Ultimate
Old October 2, 2010, 10:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Is your D-Link Router N-band capable?

Also, there isn't any "best" adapter on the market. They'll all perform the same (G vs. G, N vs. N) as long as there are no compatibility issues of any kind. I've had $50 PCI adapters and $15 USB adapters all to the same effect.
Old October 2, 2010, 11:07 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
Is your D-Link Router N-band capable?

Also, there isn't any "best" adapter on the market. They'll all perform the same (G vs. G, N vs. N) as long as there are no compatibility issues of any kind. I've had $50 PCI adapters and $15 USB adapters all to the same effect.
So it all goes down to the compatibility of routers and the adapters. Okay i get it Thanks!
EVGA 570HD
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
1TB WD Black
Windows 7 Ultimate
Old October 3, 2010, 12:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bautisj View Post
So it all goes down to the compatibility of routers and the adapters. Okay i get it Thanks!
Sort of. Rarely you'll get an incompatibility between routers and adapters, and even when you do there is almost always a work around via router or adapter settings.

In the end, the choice if router is much more important than the choice of adapter.
Old October 3, 2010, 07:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This one is the best ( non professional ) card I add to use in my life. Not that expensive,really god range, good receiver. surprisingly it's a d-link product.
NCIX.com - Buy D-LINK DWA-556 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter 802.11B/G/N 3X3 PCI-E1 Adapter - DWA-556 In Canada.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 3, 2010, 07:55 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

True, Well the higher it cost the better it is ? lol

Well, I'm just really after the speed. I do pretty much of Online Gamings. SCII. Dota. Like No lags and shiz while I'm playing.
EVGA 570HD
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
1TB WD Black
Windows 7 Ultimate
Old October 3, 2010, 08:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bautisj View Post
True, Well the higher it cost the better it is ? lol

Well, I'm just really after the speed. I do pretty much of Online Gamings. SCII. Dota. Like No lags and shiz while I'm playing.
Best advice every one will tell you ( if I am not ninja'ed on this one ) is to run a cable if yo want speed. But if you can't the d-link I linked is theebst choice over power of signal and stability. It's sure that you have to pair it with a pretty nice router to get all the power out of it.

Edit : it's not because it's less cheaper that it's better ;) get this off your mind and you will save lot's of money. This one is only the most expensive because for some wierd reason Linksys removed all their customer grade product. Maybe some new are on the way:D:D:D

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old October 3, 2010, 10:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

With the signal strength the same between any adapter, the speed will be virtually identical. There's no need to spend anymore than $40 on an adapter. I digress.