Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1, 2010, 09:20 AM
MVP
F@H

Default Sending video over network, need help!

Hi! I would like to setup a security video system of a location that is 1 mile of my house. Was thinking of buying these antenna to be able to connect to my ouse network:

Buy the Microcom EZ-BR2 802.11b/g Bridge Kit at TigerDirect.ca

First thing, is these antenna will do the job for doing a network (have a good line of site and it's about 1 mile max away)

Second, I have the camera, nothing really complicated it plugs on a rca pattern and I do have a video capture card.

What I am wondering is how (and with what software) will a be able to stream the video to my home network?

Hope it clear sorry english isn't my firsty language!
Old October 1, 2010, 10:11 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Instead of buying expensive units like that, why not just set up private website with streaming video from the security system? Otherwise, there are plenty of security camera applications that allow remote viewing / recording.
Old October 1, 2010, 10:34 AM
MVP
F@H

The problem is at the remote position (@ 1 mile of my house) there is no internet access... that is why I need to do this wireless network.
Old October 1, 2010, 11:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

1mile is going to be hard, but may be possible, you could try building a Cantenna How to build a tin can waveguide antenna
i built one and it works quite well, i also added a satellite dish to reflect more signal, have one of these on both ends of the network would help
The Wireless Internet Cantenna gets Dished
Old October 1, 2010, 12:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

while I can't entirely help you, all I can say is you're not going to get a 1 mile range using standard wireless computer equipment. you are going to have to build a directional antenna at the least, as above. or purchase one like you linked, of course. If you have a clear field, those antenna SHOULD give you a mile range. hard to say due to environmental conditions
Old October 1, 2010, 01:00 PM
MVP
F@H

Thanks all but in fact my question was more oriented to how do I stream video via network (windows 7).
Old October 1, 2010, 07:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charloz24 View Post
Thanks all but in fact my question was more oriented to how do I stream video via network (windows 7).
Well if the camera/capture card doesn't have the feature, the simplest would just be to use Windows File Shares and share the capture folder. Then you can just copy the files to your PC for viewing. If you need to watch it live, then you could use Remote Desktop or something I guess. Probably not going to work well unless you can get a solid 54Mbps+ link up.

And remember, weather heavily impacts wireless performance. Personally, I wouldn't want to transmit security footage wireless for 1 mile as that kind of loses the whole purpose of security. Should somebody be smart enough, they could intercept the signal and just re-transmit false data, or block it entirely.

Also 250mW isn't all that powerful (the TigerDirect kit you linked). NCIX has some 600mW gear.
Old October 1, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

More powerful stuff would give you a better chance, but I think directional 250 mW is pretty good still. No practical experience so I digress,

If the link is secured with WPA(2) it would take some good hacking for that to be cracked, nevermind the knowledge to hijack a signal. and if he was REALLY concerned about that kind of advanced security I'm sure he would dig a cable for a mile, among other costly things like hiring a security guard :P for the 98% of common folk, wireless streaming would be fine. Sharing files and RDP isn't streaming though. and you don't need 54+ mbps to have streaming video or decent quality. A tenth of that would really do. I'm just not aware of any software that would perform the function.
Old October 1, 2010, 08:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I said 54Mbps because that's a typical "G" speed that will show up. However in actual usage, it's far less, especially with WPA2 thrown into the mix. You'll probably get around 1MB/s max? Which is really the bare minimum IMO for any sort of network traffic. And WPA2 isn't impossible to crack by a long shot, and wouldn't take too long. Having such a long distance wireless signal makes it more likely for an attack. Personally I'd want it segregated from my home network just in case somebody got into it.

And really, whats the point in streaming security footage? It's more something you look at after something bad has happened I'd say. I suppose I don't know the OP's intentions though, so maybe he has a reason/purpose for needing it to be streamed. Maybe he (or somebody) plans to keep an eye on it and if they see suspicious activity, race over there?

But if streaming is necessary, then it's best to get proper security cameras that support networking, rather than capturing to a PC with a capture card IMO. Less hassle in the long run.
Old October 1, 2010, 08:57 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charloz24 View Post
What I am wondering is how (and with what software) will a be able to stream the video to my home network?
possibly ? H264 WebCam HomePage (Video Surveillance System which Support USB camera, Network Camera, Video Capture Card.)