Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2010, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I remember reading a website that had some guys in Australia using wireless B line of site and got success at 11KM range with directional antennas. I recall them saying that the slower speeds of "B" had a more robust signal.
Old October 2, 2010, 12:15 PM
MVP
F@H

My english is bad, and I don't know all off the exact terms, but it's not a security thing, so whoever hack the signal I could care because I will put a camera to monitor a system (grain dryer) when something is wrong there is a light that turn on, so I just want to be able to see I there is warning lights from my house LOL.
Old October 2, 2010, 03:00 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Your english is fine.

How about this? Buy Wireless antenna,WiFi Antenna,2.4Ghz 5Ghz Wlan Antenna,RF connector,RF pigtail cable,Lightning Protector,802.11 a/b/g, Omni ,panel ,yagi ,Grid antenna They say range is 5000-6000', which is ~ 1 mile. Plugs into a USB port on your computer (20' feet cable). You only need a transmitter antenna at the camera location (something similar to this: Buy Wireless antenna,WiFi Antenna,2.4Ghz 5Ghz Wlan Antenna,RF connector,RF pigtail cable,Lightning Protector,802.11 a/b/g, Omni ,panel ,yagi ,Grid antenna)
Old October 4, 2010, 06:41 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charloz24 View Post
a camera to monitor a system (grain dryer) when something is wrong there is a light that turn on, so I just want to be able to see I there is warning lights from my house LOL.
I think streaming video is a bit of an overkill, I'd look for a setup that's much more simple and doesn't require so much bandwidth -- basically all you need is a binary system that when the light goes on it'll cause something to send a RF signal to your house that will ring a bell or something.

If it's line of sight I'd simply run a light up a pole. I think some life preserver strobe lights are visible from at least 2 miles away.

If you want something high tech and fancy, you can rig up the light to trigger one of these home security alarm system that uses cellphone to call monitoring centers to call your cell/phone.

I'm sure there are also endless Rube Goldberg possibilities...