Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2007, 08:12 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default efficiency and Performance of modems

Been having a thought about how DSL based modems get there signals and allow us all to connect to the internet.

But then this odd scenario popped into my head. Our phone lines come from an outside source, into our house. The signal is normally boosted when it hits our house. But when you think of it, who knows how much phone line then is used throughout your house.

So just take a moment to think about this. If the phone line is all throughout your house the signal would decrease over the length. Don't know anything that would not decrease over a certain length.

Taking that into thought, would boosting the phone line signal from the wall to your modem increase it's efficiency and it's overall performance???

I haven't done any research on this, it's just a thought in the back of my head I want opinions on.
Old December 13, 2007, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi_man View Post
Been having a thought about how DSL based modems get there signals and allow us all to connect to the internet.

But then this odd scenario popped into my head. Our phone lines come from an outside source, into our house. The signal is normally boosted when it hits our house. But when you think of it, who knows how much phone line then is used throughout your house.

So just take a moment to think about this. If the phone line is all throughout your house the signal would decrease over the length. Don't know anything that would not decrease over a certain length.

Taking that into thought, would boosting the phone line signal from the wall to your modem increase it's efficiency and it's overall performance???

I haven't done any research on this, it's just a thought in the back of my head I want opinions on.
If you understood how ADSL works you'd know that ADSL is only effective if your within 4km (unless its been changed) of a local switch. So if you are 3.5km away from the switch your ADSL isn't going to be as good as someone whose only 1km away.

Second the speed the signal travels for ADSL I highly doubt it would make a difference to travel 50 feet or 100 feet through a house.

Cat5 cabling has a limit of 300 feet or something before it doesn't become effective anymore and thats probably enough to wrap probably 2 or 3 times around a normal house.