Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2010, 06:36 AM
Rookie

Default range and speed of usb wireless adapter

Here's my setup:

1) A desktop with a USB D-Link wireless N adapter
2) A laptop with its internal wireless adapter that I bought back in 2007

These two computers are placed next to each other (so I don't think the distance from the router has any effect in my comparisons), but my laptop gets 3 bars of signal while my desktop only gets 1~2 bars. After doing speed tests, my laptop has a 5~7 Mbps download speed but my desktop only gets 1~2 Mbps. Why is this?

Would replacing the USB adapter on my desktop with a PCI one help to solve this issue?
Old September 24, 2010, 07:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I haven't had too much luck with USB adapters in general, they work, just not very well in most cases. I find the laptops I've owned have had great reception in comparison.
Old September 24, 2010, 07:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

USB adapters are weak in comparison to a "real" wireless unit. the antenna is internally contained in the USB device, whereas your laptop's antenna usually is in the screen bezel, which makes for better reception.
Old September 24, 2010, 07:33 AM
Rookie

So, would using a PCI card on my desktop give me similar performance as my laptop?
Old September 24, 2010, 08:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoobing View Post
So, would using a PCI card on my desktop give me similar performance as my laptop?
Theoretically?

Yes.
Old September 24, 2010, 09:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

to add to this, USB device performance generally scales with the performance of your CPU; therefore if your desktop is an old Celeron (for example) the PCI interface offered by an expansion card will inherently give you a performance boost. Couple this with the fact that you will get some antenna options with the card.

Another thing to consider when comparing the two is that a laptop may use a diversity antenna (left/right) for noise/signal-reflection cancellation. I would bet a USB stick wifi-adapter has a single antenna and lacks this feature.
Old September 24, 2010, 11:25 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
to add to this, USB device performance generally scales with the performance of your CPU; therefore if your desktop is an old Celeron (for example) the PCI interface offered by an expansion card will inherently give you a performance boost. Couple this with the fact that you will get some antenna options with the card.
i got i5 quad core, maybe i should try the metal strainer modification first :P