Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   need to get rid of router, any requirement i need to do? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/35437-need-get-rid-router-any-requirement-i-need-do.html)

hohohee August 21, 2010 11:26 AM

need to get rid of router, any requirement i need to do?
 
as in hard drives, when selling used we gotta clean all the data from it. now what about router?

i want to get rid of router... i already used it and set up now i want to get rid of it. any requirement i need to do? any security safety?


2:
i want to hook up my old router back.... do i have to go through setup screen again? or do i jus plug and play?

Ryoohki August 21, 2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hohohee (Post 418547)
as in hard drives, when selling used we gotta clean all the data from it. now what about router?

i want to get rid of router... i already used it and set up now i want to get rid of it. any requirement i need to do? any security safety?

You can do a wipe procedure. Normally, plug it in the wall and press the reset button for at least 1 minute, then let it reboot. I will normally wipe all config, most company use this kind of trick to reset at factory default..

hohohee August 21, 2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryoohki (Post 418548)
You can do a wipe procedure. Normally, plug it in the wall and press the reset button for at least 1 minute, then let it reboot. I will normally wipe all config, most company use this kind of trick to reset at factory default..


whats the reason for wipe reset? is individual router setup is privacy? how crucial it is?


and if i hook up my old router.... do i jus plug and play? or do i have to go through setup screen?

MacJunky August 21, 2010 11:56 AM

In the time it took you to wait for an answer you could have already been done.

Zero82z August 21, 2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hohohee (Post 418549)
whats the reason for wipe reset? is individual router setup is privacy? how crucial it is?


and if i hook up my old router.... do i jus plug and play? or do i have to go through setup screen?

You wipe it in case you had any passwords or information somewhere in the config that may be private. It takes 2 minutes to do, so just do it.

If your old router is already set up from when you used to use it then you shouldn't need to do anything to set it up. If it's been wiped then you may need to go into the configuration and change a few settings, but chances are you won't need to set anything up.

DCCV44.2223 August 23, 2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hohohee (Post 418547)
i want to get rid of router... i already used it and set up now i want to get rid of it. any requirement i need to do? any security safety?

I hope you're not using the factory default password, in which case for anyone to get to the information you've entered into the setup screens they would first have to enter the correct password.

As for hooking up the old router, it may use a different subnet so reboot any systems that was on during the change over, also make sure you're not using the factory default password and WAN (internet) access to the management/setup console is disabled.

hohohee August 24, 2010 10:15 PM

"make sure you're not using the factory default password and WAN (internet) access to the management/setup console is disabled."

access to the management/setup console is disabled? i hard to understand. are you saying make sure the management/setup console is disabled? so make sure the wan access management/setup console is disabled?


and yeah i just reset the little pin point reset button on the router and ready to return.



a quick stand-alone question:
what happend if we press the reset button on the modem? (not router) if i press the reset on the modem, does it make my modem not to work? gotta call isp to reactivate it? i just need to know what happend if i press it..... cause the answer determine weather should i do it or not cause i need to pin point a problem. so yeah what happends if i reset the modem? do i need to call isp to reactivate once i reset modem?

ZZLEE August 24, 2010 10:30 PM

yep
 
yuo will probly have to caa in ti reset it.

Better yet call them fist :biggrin: they hire nice people to walk yop thruogh these sorts of things

DCCV44.2223 August 25, 2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hohohee (Post 419737)
i hard to understand. are you saying make sure the management/setup console is disabled? so make sure the wan access management/setup console is disabled?

There's often an option to access the router's management console from the WAN (internet) side, and if it's a wireless router, an option to access the console over the WLAN (Wireless Local Network) too. Usually the WAN option is disabled by default but if you're re-using an old router, it pays to check.

By habit I disable access to the management console over WLAN too, so anyone who needs to configure the router has to be in the house and connected to the router by wire.

As for the modem reset button question, it would help if you can tell us which modem and which ISP and what problem you're trying to pin-point.

_dangtx_ August 26, 2010 01:59 PM

for linksys the 30/30/30 works out pretty well.

hold the reset button 30 secs, unplug,keep holding another 30 secs, plug it back in, 30 secs later you let go.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:32 AM.