Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21, 2010, 08:32 AM
Rookie

Default Telus ftp

Hi folks,

The last post on using ftp on telus consumer line was back in 2007. I reckon I'd ask since I'm trying to, if anyone is successfully using ftp or sftp and if they could kindly share how they're using it. I simply want to be able to share family camping pictures among family and friends. E-mail is just not doing it now that everyone has hi-def cameras that produce 2mg pics. When you have loads of those then e-Mail just is not an option. So please offer your help with detailed information on your setup. I'm not open to placing the pictures with a third party server. It does not have to be ftp or sftp, so what ever option that can allow the average aunty or uncle to download pictures that will be great. It's a sin that Telus do what they do with the limitations on their service.

Thanks
Old August 21, 2010, 09:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried using a non-standard port for your FTP server? In most cases, ISPs that block FTP aren't looking at the type of traffic, but instead are blocking the most common ports used by FTP servers.

That said.... if servers are not permitted by your user agreement (many ISPs don't allow servers at all, let alone 24/7 FTP servers) you do stand a chance of losing your account. Back when I was using FTP server software I made a point to only turn it on "on demand" (as in when somebody specifically requested access) and wouldn't leave it up longer than a couple of hours at a time.

I don't use it myself, but have you checked into the sharing features of MSN? Last time I looked, there was a feature which would allow you to "share" images and files from your PC with your friends.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 21, 2010, 09:40 AM
shaw

Pictures sharing amongst family members that are computer illiterate? Picasa works great.

https://www.google.com/accounts/Serv...p&passive=true
Old August 21, 2010, 06:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Have you tried using a non-standard port for your FTP server? In most cases, ISPs that block FTP aren't looking at the type of traffic, but instead are blocking the most common ports used by FTP servers.

That said.... if servers are not permitted by your user agreement (many ISPs don't allow servers at all, let alone 24/7 FTP servers) you do stand a chance of losing your account. Back when I was using FTP server software I made a point to only turn it on "on demand" (as in when somebody specifically requested access) and wouldn't leave it up longer than a couple of hours at a time.

I don't use it myself, but have you checked into the sharing features of MSN? Last time I looked, there was a feature which would allow you to "share" images and files from your PC with your friends.
Thanks. Someone back in 2007 in this forum took the time to test if Telus examines the packets when blocking a service and the answer to that is yes, they not only block the ports, the check the packets. So, using a non standard port won't work.

I do not intend to leave the server up and running all the time.

I will not open up my machine to any external sharing service Microsoft offers.
Old August 22, 2010, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

telus blocks port 80 and 21, i can confirm this because i have tried
try a non standard port, why not just use apache instead of FTP and just dump the pictures into the www directory, it would simplify things for computer illiterate people.
Old August 23, 2010, 06:08 AM
MVP

Default encyption is the way to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestawasright View Post
Thanks. Someone back in 2007 in this forum took the time to test if Telus examines the packets when blocking a service and the answer to that is yes, they not only block the ports, the check the packets. So, using a non standard port won't work.
From this thread:
"It appears that TELUS will allow FTP on ports > 5000 and < 8000."
Haz has also included many details on SSH encryption using Bitvise products.
There are also many FTP server/clients capable of encryption. eg. FileZilla Wiki
These techniques would thwart Telus ability to detect the FTP commands they are seeking.
Quote:
I do not intend to leave the server up and running all the time.
If you were running an encrypted server, it could be left up all the time.
Old August 26, 2010, 07:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'd set up a spare PC to host a simple web CMS (CMS Made Simple, Joomla, dot net nuke). They have plug ins for uploading your pictures to your web server, and you dont have to explain to your friends or family what FTP stands for... haha

CMS Made Simple and Joomla are best suited on Linux machines (a good little project actually).
Dot Net Nuke is windows based, it should run perfect on a windows xp machine with SQL Server Express edition (also free).

An old P4 will do perfectly, and you can actually host it on port 8080 or something like that.
Old August 30, 2010, 08:42 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
I'd set up a spare PC to host a simple web CMS (CMS Made Simple, Joomla, dot net nuke). They have plug ins for uploading your pictures to your web server, and you dont have to explain to your friends or family what FTP stands for... haha

CMS Made Simple and Joomla are best suited on Linux machines (a good little project actually).
Dot Net Nuke is windows based, it should run perfect on a windows xp machine with SQL Server Express edition (also free).

An old P4 will do perfectly, and you can actually host it on port 8080 or something like that.
Thanks a lot. The reason I don't want to go along with a full server is because with this option, I create more security risks, whereas with an sftp, I feel I'd have more control with regards to security. If you have a good HowTo to deal with security issues, such as those common to websites, that will be great. Thanks a lot again.
Old August 30, 2010, 08:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
telus blocks port 80 and 21, i can confirm this because i have tried
try a non standard port, why not just use apache instead of FTP and just dump the pictures into the www directory, it would simplify things for computer illiterate people.
This is a good idea, do you know of a way to secure an apache server?