Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   Telus ftp (https://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/35431-telus-ftp.html)

nestawasright August 21, 2010 08:32 AM

Telus ftp
 
Hi folks,

The last post on using ftp on telus consumer line was back in 2007. I reckon I'd ask since I'm trying to, if anyone is successfully using ftp or sftp and if they could kindly share how they're using it. I simply want to be able to share family camping pictures among family and friends. E-mail is just not doing it now that everyone has hi-def cameras that produce 2mg pics. When you have loads of those then e-Mail just is not an option. So please offer your help with detailed information on your setup. I'm not open to placing the pictures with a third party server. It does not have to be ftp or sftp, so what ever option that can allow the average aunty or uncle to download pictures that will be great. It's a sin that Telus do what they do with the limitations on their service.

Thanks

sswilson August 21, 2010 09:03 AM

Have you tried using a non-standard port for your FTP server? In most cases, ISPs that block FTP aren't looking at the type of traffic, but instead are blocking the most common ports used by FTP servers.

That said.... if servers are not permitted by your user agreement (many ISPs don't allow servers at all, let alone 24/7 FTP servers) you do stand a chance of losing your account. Back when I was using FTP server software I made a point to only turn it on "on demand" (as in when somebody specifically requested access) and wouldn't leave it up longer than a couple of hours at a time.

I don't use it myself, but have you checked into the sharing features of MSN? Last time I looked, there was a feature which would allow you to "share" images and files from your PC with your friends.

shaw August 21, 2010 09:40 AM

Pictures sharing amongst family members that are computer illiterate? Picasa works great.

https://www.google.com/accounts/Serv...p&passive=true

nestawasright August 21, 2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 418508)
Have you tried using a non-standard port for your FTP server? In most cases, ISPs that block FTP aren't looking at the type of traffic, but instead are blocking the most common ports used by FTP servers.

That said.... if servers are not permitted by your user agreement (many ISPs don't allow servers at all, let alone 24/7 FTP servers) you do stand a chance of losing your account. Back when I was using FTP server software I made a point to only turn it on "on demand" (as in when somebody specifically requested access) and wouldn't leave it up longer than a couple of hours at a time.

I don't use it myself, but have you checked into the sharing features of MSN? Last time I looked, there was a feature which would allow you to "share" images and files from your PC with your friends.

Thanks. Someone back in 2007 in this forum took the time to test if Telus examines the packets when blocking a service and the answer to that is yes, they not only block the ports, the check the packets. So, using a non standard port won't work.

I do not intend to leave the server up and running all the time.

I will not open up my machine to any external sharing service Microsoft offers.

supaflyx3 August 22, 2010 07:24 PM

telus blocks port 80 and 21, i can confirm this because i have tried
try a non standard port, why not just use apache instead of FTP and just dump the pictures into the www directory, it would simplify things for computer illiterate people.

bushwhacker August 23, 2010 06:08 AM

encyption is the way to go
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nestawasright (Post 418702)
Thanks. Someone back in 2007 in this forum took the time to test if Telus examines the packets when blocking a service and the answer to that is yes, they not only block the ports, the check the packets. So, using a non standard port won't work.

From this thread:
"It appears that TELUS will allow FTP on ports > 5000 and < 8000."
Haz has also included many details on SSH encryption using Bitvise products.
There are also many FTP server/clients capable of encryption. eg. FileZilla Wiki
These techniques would thwart Telus ability to detect the FTP commands they are seeking.
Quote:

I do not intend to leave the server up and running all the time.
If you were running an encrypted server, it could be left up all the time.

grinder August 26, 2010 07:04 PM

I'd set up a spare PC to host a simple web CMS (CMS Made Simple, Joomla, dot net nuke). They have plug ins for uploading your pictures to your web server, and you dont have to explain to your friends or family what FTP stands for... haha

CMS Made Simple and Joomla are best suited on Linux machines (a good little project actually).
Dot Net Nuke is windows based, it should run perfect on a windows xp machine with SQL Server Express edition (also free).

An old P4 will do perfectly, and you can actually host it on port 8080 or something like that.

nestawasright August 30, 2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grinder (Post 420686)
I'd set up a spare PC to host a simple web CMS (CMS Made Simple, Joomla, dot net nuke). They have plug ins for uploading your pictures to your web server, and you dont have to explain to your friends or family what FTP stands for... haha

CMS Made Simple and Joomla are best suited on Linux machines (a good little project actually).
Dot Net Nuke is windows based, it should run perfect on a windows xp machine with SQL Server Express edition (also free).

An old P4 will do perfectly, and you can actually host it on port 8080 or something like that.

Thanks a lot. The reason I don't want to go along with a full server is because with this option, I create more security risks, whereas with an sftp, I feel I'd have more control with regards to security. If you have a good HowTo to deal with security issues, such as those common to websites, that will be great. Thanks a lot again.

nestawasright August 30, 2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supaflyx3 (Post 419000)
telus blocks port 80 and 21, i can confirm this because i have tried
try a non standard port, why not just use apache instead of FTP and just dump the pictures into the www directory, it would simplify things for computer illiterate people.

This is a good idea, do you know of a way to secure an apache server?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:25 PM.