Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 30, 2010, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default D-Link DWL-G520 Can't Find Wireless Connections

I reinstalled Windows after rebuilding my computers as you all may know, and now my D-Link DWL-G520 doesn't work. It keeps on saying "Wireless Connections Not Found." I've reinstalled the drivers, removed the network adapter and reinstalled it, even restarted the computer numerous times to no avail. It worked fine in the past before I started rebuilding. Anyone know how to fix this?

Btw, D-Link tech support sucks as always. I called them for help and they basically told me to go away because the product is not supported anymore.
Old June 30, 2010, 11:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

have you gone into device manager to see if it is listed in there? if it is listed then it is installed. what might be happening is that you need the encryption code\or key so that it can connect to your router
Old June 30, 2010, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep it's there in Device Manager.

It can't find any wireless network connections, that's the problem. And I got TONS of wireless networks surrounding my house, so it's not my router that's glitching or anything. Heck I'm on my laptop right now and it's connected to my router wirelessly, and it can find my neighbour's wireless networks.
Old June 30, 2010, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

but don't you need the network security key from your router?
Old June 30, 2010, 11:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I do, but it can't even detect any routers. That's the weird thing.
Old June 30, 2010, 11:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have my router setup so it on can have so many computers on wifi to connect that is why I am wondering if your router is set up the same way.
ok I think I understand what you are saying , you are saing that your laptop can see all of the wifi in your area but your pcs card doesn't see any, what I would do is reboot and or right click on the network and do a trouble shoot. iof this doesn't work then go into device manager and uninstall the card , once it is uninstalled reboot and let windows try to reinstall the drivers and find a network.
I am new to this sort of thing and had the same problems with my older laptop but following what I just typed above it cured my problem.
also I did a quick google search ( I have allot of time on my hands hehe) and found someone having similar problems with what I think is the e same card here is the link
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26...windows#t99198
Old June 30, 2010, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I did all that but the guide in Tom's Hardware. I'll give that a try and then report back. I wonder how I didn't find it earlier...
Old June 30, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Scrolled down the thread and installed the UK version of the drivers. Still doesn't work...
Old June 30, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hmm did you do what this person ;

Quote:
SOLUTION:

I had the exact same problem, but....I solved it! Albeit quite painfully!

D-Link DWL G520 (rev. B)

Note: DO NOT install wireless card in PCI slot until AFTER installing the D-LINK software and drivers (per the included instructions). If you have already done so and had problems you will need to uninstall the D-Link software and pull the card from the slot and when you reinstall the card put it into a different PCI slot this time. I actually did a clean reinstall of windows to get all the D-Link stuff off my machine first and then started fresh and used a different PCI slot.

PRIOR TO PHYSICALLY INSTALLING CARD IN PCI SLOT:
1. Obtain the Vista x64 driver from the D-Link website (D-Link High Speed 2.4GHz (802.11g) Wireless 108Mbps PCI Adapter)

should be version: 20081210 posted on 7/9/2009

2. Copy all the files from the old install CD into a folder on your desktop

3. Find the folder that includes the driver files and replace the files with the new driver files for Vista 64 (should be 3 files)

4. Eject the setup disk, Run the autorun program (included on the CD) from the new folder and install the drivers. (This will also install D-Link utilities on your computer which will not work due to compatibility issues-doesn't matter though because you do not need the D-Link software anyway, just leave it on your machine though).

5. Physically install card into PCI slot (of course AFTER turning off machine and de-powering the motherboard!)

6. After Windows starts, navigate to the device manager, right click on the wireless card adapter and choose "uninstall"

7. Now, while still in the device manager, under network adapters, right click and choose "scan for hardware changes"

= Viola! it should now detect your wireless card and it will be correctly installed (DO NOT attempt to "update driver" as this does not work).---DO NOT RESTART WINDOWS YET---

8. After connecting to the internet for the first time, there should be an optional atheros chip update for your wireless card in windows update, install it.

9. Now for the catch, my whole problem was that after installing the card unsuccessfully previously, windows would hand on startup, so.... the workaround here is to disable the wireless card in the device manager BEFORE restarting windows, then each use session you should reenable the device (kind of a pain, but otherwise windows will hang at startup until you remove the card from the slot and repeat the whole process with a new PCI slot!)

10. I HAVE NOT verified whether the update fixes the problem, I have been too scared to restart without disabling the wireless card first! I am waiting for a definitive user experience on this note before restarting the lazy way!

Also, I don't know if the new downloaded driver is necessary or not, it could be that the updated driver is included in Windows and that after installing the d-link software from the CD (with old drivers) you can follow the rest of the instructions to insert the card and then the uninstall, reinstall (in device manager) is the real trick.

Windows 7 lists this device as compatible, certainly it is because it works for me, but the startup is the challenge.

Good luck!
Old June 30, 2010, 12:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yea I pretty much followed it. Still didn't work.