Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2010, 07:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Wireless Extender Question

Normally all the computers I run are hardwired right to a router.

That being said I've come to the situation of using wireless admist the house, and in doing so I also got myself a Wireless extender because the Wireless router wasn't cutting it for me signal wise.

When I look for available wireless networks I see this:

Link (Router)
Unnamed Network (Full signal)

The unnamed was not there when I didn't have an extender, but now it is. Is that the Extender in the house that my wireless cards are detecting?

Thanks in advance,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 17, 2010, 07:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you setup/configured the wireless extender, or namely what is the exact product you are using?
Old June 17, 2010, 07:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Have you setup/configured the wireless extender, or namely what is the exact product you are using?
Yes I Setup the Wireless extender as per its instructions.

Its a D-link Extender G/N.

The Router is a linksys G/N.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old June 17, 2010, 09:40 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The instructions for the extender should have instructions on how to connect to it once you have it set up, so have a look in there and see if it gives you any indications about which network to choose. If you have a laptop, you could try moving from the router to the extender and back with it and try and figure out what's what based on how the signal strength is increasing and decreasing.

Also, I don't know what the situation is like now with these extender products, but the last time I used one (a few years ago), it was a Linksys model and I'm pretty sure it was only compatible with Linksys routers, so double-check and make sure that the D-Link extender can actually work with your router.
Old June 18, 2010, 06:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Probably would of been best to buy two of the same routers which support DD-WRT. Then you wouldn't have any compatibility issues.

When I wanted to "extend" my wireless though, I used an older router, disabled DHCP on it and setup the Wireless stuff to the same settings as my main AP. Then I hooked up an Ethernet cable to the LAN1 port back to my main router.
Old June 18, 2010, 09:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I'm gonna have to RTFM and fiddle around with it. Though in all reality I should be able to get it working the way I want without sticking to everything from the same manufacturer.

Its been a while since I've had to play with wireless, and now I remember why....

ST