Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2010, 11:14 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default Help picking a usb n adapter

I'm looking into buying a good usb wireless n adapter.. i want to have less clutter in my case and start using the n part of my router. I have a buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH router with dd-wrt on it. I'm going through a floor and 2 walls, and its around 30 feet away. I know that everyone says an internal card is more powerful but i was wondering if anyone has had good experiences with any usb adapters. Even if a you use a usb cord extension with your wireless usb i would like to know how its working out for you. If anyone has any suggestions, or just tell me what their setup is and how its working out for them i would appreciate it(N setups only please and its NOT dual band).. i'm finding it hard to find any usb or even wireless adapter card reviews anywhere..

thanks

p.s. i'm using win 7 64bit, and that scratches the buffalo usb n adapter, don't know why they don't support 64bit.. ohh well..
Old June 2, 2010, 11:28 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I picked up the cheapest wifi adapter I could possibly find, a refurbished D-link WUA1340. It's a piece of crap, but it will usually provide you with access to the network, though you usually need to fiddle with it do get it to work. At the time I thought a $15 adapter would be sufficient, but now I kind of wish I would have splurged just a little more.

It's only 802.11b/g though. Do they even make 802.11n dongles? I don't know how they would even manage to cram enough antennas in there to make best use of MIMO.

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old June 2, 2010, 01:39 PM
shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
p.s. i'm using win 7 64bit, and that scratches the buffalo usb n adapter, don't know why they don't support 64bit.. ohh well..
Don't know where you got this fact, but I've used this adaptor successfully on a Win7 64bit rig.

NCIX.com - Buy Buffalo WLI-UC-GN Wireless N Ultra Compact USB 2.0 Key 802.11B/G Draft N - WLI-UC-GN In Canada.

Change the channel width from Auto to 20/40Mhz and you get the 300Mbps speed.
Old June 2, 2010, 03:54 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw View Post
Don't know where you got this fact, but I've used this adaptor successfully on a Win7 64bit rig.

NCIX.com - Buy Buffalo WLI-UC-GN Wireless N Ultra Compact USB 2.0 Key 802.11B/G Draft N - WLI-UC-GN In Canada.

Change the channel width from Auto to 20/40Mhz and you get the 300Mbps speed.

There are tons of people who claim it doesn't work with 64bit windows.. even when you go to your ncix link there are post about it not working on 64bit OS's. It looks like there is a work around with ralinktech drivers tho.. so if it does work in 64bit win, how do you find the range? do you go through any walls?

even on the buffalo site every adapter has "OS Support - Windows VistaŽ (32-bit)" in the specs..

Last edited by NorthernLights; June 2, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old June 2, 2010, 04:24 PM
Banned

Dlink DWA-130

Never had a SINGLE problem with it at all.
Old June 2, 2010, 04:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am using this with Win 7X64. The router is in the basement and the computer is on the second floor. Seems to work fine.

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS USB-N13 802.11N USB2.0 Wireless Network Adapter - USB-N13 In Canada.
Old June 2, 2010, 04:38 PM
shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLights View Post
There are tons of people who claim it doesn't work with 64bit windows.. even when you go to your ncix link there are post about it not working on 64bit OS's. It looks like there is a work around with ralinktech drivers tho.. so if it does work in 64bit win, how do you find the range? do you go through any walls?

even on the buffalo site every adapter has "OS Support - Windows VistaŽ (32-bit)" in the specs..
I'm typing this reply on the wireless desktop, using the adaptor and a DIR-655 router. OS is W7 64bit.
Old June 2, 2010, 05:28 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

That asus looks good.. for 29.99 too.. thx stoanee.. but if the buffalo stuff does work on a 64bit os i am leaning towards matching hardware.. i think it's just a safer way of doing things.. i think now that i'm thinking buffalo theres two to choice ...

Buffalo Nfiniti Wireless N Compact USB 2.0 Key 802.11B/G Draft N WLI-UC-G300N - DirectCanada

or

Buy Buffalo [WLI-UC-G300HP] Buffalo Nfiniti WIRELESS-N High Power Compact USB 2.0 Key 802.11B/G Draft N

the high power one is almost twice the price so i was thinking of getting a 6ft usb cable with the cheaper one just incase the signal was weak. Not that price is an issue but i don't know if twice the price would ever come close to twice the performance.. lol i have sooo many tabs opened up with different stores and adapters this is crazy.. out of these two what do you guys think.. the high power one does look cool with its own antenna built right on it and signal strength on the side.. but software tells you the strength anyways. will it be that much stronger to pick up wireless signals?

Last edited by NorthernLights; June 2, 2010 at 05:34 PM.