Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Networking (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/)
-   -   TekSavvy - Toronto Users (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/networking/32667-teksavvy-toronto-users.html)

JD May 30, 2010 07:14 PM

TekSavvy - Toronto Users

To all the folks using TekSavvy in the Toronto area, are you experiencing any abnormal slowness?

I'm currently capped at about 30KB/s on all traffic BUT P2P. Torrents I can pull upwards of 400KB/s. Been like that since Tuesday.

TekSavvy has a ticket open with Bell, but of course Bell is dragging their asses with investigation and solving the problem.

So if anybody else has this issue, please leave a quick post here: Super slow right now? - dslreports.com TekSavvy seem to be keeping on eye on the thread, and it seems more and more people are reporting it.

geokilla May 30, 2010 08:18 PM

TekSavvy also offers cable service now. Thought I'd throw it in here.

JD May 30, 2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geokilla (Post 384856)
TekSavvy also offers cable service now. Thought I'd throw it in here.

And I'm seriously considering it. This DSL slowness is insane. Makes it so difficult to view anything, especially pictures/video.

I'll also be totally free from Bell! They won't be getting any money from me. Though Rogers will have all my money, but I find them to be the lesser evil.

gingerbee May 30, 2010 09:14 PM

sorry for the off-topic I called them today about the cable it's a great deal 60$ for unlimited at 10mb bandwidth but and it sucks for me not available yet in orillia. so is it really ok speeds having (dsl) when working right. have been on raogers for the last 5 years and there raping me hard know.:thumb:

Stix26 May 30, 2010 09:22 PM

Uh.. sorry to assist geokilla and ginerbee in the hijacking of this thread but, I am currently with TS with the unlimited DSL plan. If I were to switch to the Express cable plan would I have to worry about the UBB? Would something have to be installed at my house?

_dangtx_ May 30, 2010 09:35 PM

a tad slowish the last few days, except for downloads...torrents uber slow during the day,as always(well for the last little while)

gingerbee May 30, 2010 10:02 PM

see it's statements like dangt just made that has kept me with rogers they throttle but only on uploads so i don't care i don't upload i can donwload a 10 gb file in a couple of hours no problems at all i can't wait 2 weeks fro a motogp race.

JD May 31, 2010 07:22 AM

From what I can tell, TekSavvy cable has no throttling and no bandwidth caps (assuming you choose unlimited). If you go with the 200GB plan, well that's your own doing. As such, they aren't part of the CRTC, so UBB won't be a requirement for them.

As for installation, can't quite figure that one out. You need to book an appointment it sounds like though, so I'm guessing they need to come out and do *something*. Maybe just ensure your cable lines are all in order? I don't know.

gingerbee May 31, 2010 08:13 AM

the cable is a resale of rogers they only throttle uploads to max 80kb's this is why you don't see any problem use some throttle checkers online there's many that work and it will tell you that in fact there throttling it's just so high that most don't notice it. this is why i wanted there cable because i have rogers that is the same it just cost me 130 a month which is bullsh!t. I talked to a tech this morning again to confirm this but it sucks she said that orillia is not even on the list so ia m screwed all i can get is there dryloop dsl ahhh i want to kill rogers. minirant over

Stix26 May 31, 2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 385058)
From what I can tell, TekSavvy cable has no throttling and no bandwidth caps (assuming you choose unlimited). If you go with the 200GB plan, well that's your own doing. As such, they aren't part of the CRTC, so UBB won't be a requirement for them.

As for installation, can't quite figure that one out. You need to book an appointment it sounds like though, so I'm guessing they need to come out and do *something*. Maybe just ensure your cable lines are all in order? I don't know.

Thank you for the clarification.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gingerbee (Post 385074)
the cable is a resale of rogers they only throttle uploads to max 80kb's this is why you don't see any problem use some throttle checkers online there's many that work and it will tell you that in fact there throttling it's just so high that most don't notice it. this is why i wanted there cable because i have rogers that is the same it just cost me 130 a month which is bullsh!t. I talked to a tech this morning again to confirm this but it sucks she said that orillia is not even on the list so ia m screwed all i can get is there dryloop dsl ahhh i want to kill rogers. minirant over

I asked them via TekSavvy Direct and they said they hope to get as much of Ontario covered by the end of November.