Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2010, 04:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
the cable is a resale of rogers they only throttle uploads to max 80kb's this is why you don't see any problem use some throttle checkers online there's many that work and it will tell you that in fact there throttling it's just so high that most don't notice it. this is why i wanted there cable because i have rogers that is the same it just cost me 130 a month which is bullsh!t. I talked to a tech this morning again to confirm this but it sucks she said that orillia is not even on the list so ia m screwed all i can get is there dryloop dsl ahhh i want to kill rogers. minirant over
From what I understand, they are not re-selling Rogers. They are installing their own hardware in all the POIs (thus why only certain parts of ON are online currently) which then hooks up into their network and uses their peering back to the Internet. This is why the $2 fee increase came to DSL Premium, to help cover all the costs of buying this equipment for cable apparently. IF they were merely re-selling, you'd surely have access, and every place that Rogers has coverage.

If they were reselling Rogers, I don't think the prices/bandwidth would be where it's at.

And my DSL is all fixed up, so we can use this thread for whatever
Old May 31, 2010, 05:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wicked to hear the girl i was talking to although very friendly she was unsure about the cable stuff. and once again with the off topic a few questions for you what's your average torrent speeds I know it';s a real subjective question. oh who i am i kidding i am going to go teksavvy and pray it works out. remember i have to network in 2 other heavy end user's who try it there damnedest to mess up there computers ( we can hit 1 terabyte in a month ) not most but sometimes it's up there
Old May 31, 2010, 05:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
As for installation, can't quite figure that one out. You need to book an appointment it sounds like though, so I'm guessing they need to come out and do *something*. Maybe just ensure your cable lines are all in order? I don't know.
If their hardware is like Shaw's here, they come and hook up some filter or repeater in your line. Once it's installed, the cable modem will only work on one outlet in the house. If you move it to another outlet, they have to come move the thing in the box.
Old May 31, 2010, 05:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
If their hardware is like Shaw's here, they come and hook up some filter or repeater in your line. Once it's installed, the cable modem will only work on one outlet in the house. If you move it to another outlet, they have to come move the thing in the box.
Sounds like a possibility. Nobody seems to disclose what exactly the installer did though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
wicked to hear the girl i was talking to although very friendly she was unsure about the cable stuff. and once again with the off topic a few questions for you what's your average torrent speeds I know it';s a real subjective question. oh who i am i kidding i am going to go teksavvy and pray it works out. remember i have to network in 2 other heavy end user's who try it there damnedest to mess up there computers ( we can hit 1 terabyte in a month ) not most but sometimes it's up there
I can do up to the full 5Mbps (540KB/s) on torrents in so-called off peak hours. Same goes for upload (80KB/s). Granted you can't do both at once as you need some free upload bandwidth to have proper communication. I typically keep my upload capped at 60KB/s. Apparently using port 1723 with forced encryption can help ease the throttling. Not sure though. You can also do single-link MLPP to work-around the throttling.
Old July 12, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll have details on Teksavvy's cable internet probably within the next 30 days. I spoke with them today and it looks like 840k is the only speed available where I'm moving to at the end of the month. Cable is available though. I would have had cable internet installed on moving day, but I'd be hard pressed to find a used modem that is on their approved list before Aug. 3rd. All their modems are selling for $75+$10 shipping. I will post in the BST though.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old July 12, 2010, 07:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
I'll have details on Teksavvy's cable internet probably within the next 30 days. I spoke with them today and it looks like 840k is the only speed available where I'm moving to at the end of the month. Cable is available though. I would have had cable internet installed on moving day, but I'd be hard pressed to find a used modem that is on their approved list before Aug. 3rd. All their modems are selling for $75+$10 shipping. I will post in the BST though.
Too slow, mines being activated on Friday

Already got the modem sitting here from them too.
Old July 12, 2010, 11:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Let us know how it all works out!

Old July 16, 2010, 03:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I found out that if you are going to purchase a modem on your own, make sure that the MAC address is clean. I did check pc village online for an sb5101. One store said sold out until next month and another store said sold out until next week. Anyhoo, I'm just going to transfer my dsl for the time being. We'll be too busy painting, unpacking and working to surf. 840k will suck, but it's good enough for surfing, I guess. New furniture and other necessities come first.

Old July 16, 2010, 02:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well my TekSavvy Extreme Pro Cable Internet was activated today

10Mbps down, 1Mbps up. Pretty much spot on too, unlike DSL that has a fair bit of overhead. Also has Powerboost, which is why the SpeedTest results are rather skewed. Only get 25-30Mbps for the first few seconds.

And at $54.95/month for unlimited bandwidth, you can't really go wrong!
Old July 19, 2010, 03:08 PM
Top Prospect

hey guys is there a list of modems thats compatible with teksavvy? I have a Speedstream 4200 which has been laying around for awhile and hopefully will work instead of payin 75 bucks for a new one.