Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2010, 04:03 PM
MVP

Default how to solve a "Slug Speed every afternoon" ?

how to solve a slug speed every after noon?

i got cable connection. my connection goes beyond slow every 12pm to 4:30pm like when i play games online on my ps3.... in the middle of a fight and got disconnect and i got in back then disconnect in middle of fight again. same goes to pc gaming when i play mmorpgs.... i rapidly get disconnect and when i surf the web it is very slow like takes 10sec to load a page or sometimes dont load at all.

i check speedtest . net and i got 4mb! usually i supose to get 24mb or something. its like someone is controlling my connection! like ok lets make his connection goes berserk at 12 to 4:30 its like remote slow.

i thought it might be normal to be slow when theres alot of people caus cable share speed... people get off work and go to internet and kids get off school and play with internet... but then the slow happend at the time when kids and people still at work and school. 12pm. weekday. so its not normal.

question :
also theres some broadband site that has isp employee representive.... i heard we can give our mac address to them and they can check whats wrong... is it safe to give them mac address? is mac address personal? if not, how do i look for my mac address? how do i know what mac address i have?

question:
also i forgot how to go to router page setting... i have to type some url or something... i forgot... how do i get to the setting page for my router?
Old May 19, 2010, 04:05 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

What city do you live in and who is your internet provider?
Fold for team #54196
Old May 19, 2010, 04:11 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
What city do you live in and who is your internet provider?
cox broadband
Old May 19, 2010, 04:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

When you used speedtest.net which city did you test at?
Fold for team #54196
Old May 19, 2010, 06:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Start in the home.... have you checked to make sure that other PCs in the home aren't doing things like running heavy P2P sharing during that time? If you're using a router, have you tried a direct connect to the modem to see if the issue goes away?

It does sound like network congestion though, most cable ISPs have put the infrastructure in place to do away with that kind of issue, however it's possible that your area needs an upgrade to be able to handle peak time loads.

Not completely sure how the cox network works, but my last two ISPs tied the external IP to the MAC address of the device connected to the modem. If that's the case with cox, you can try "cloning" a different mac into the router to try to force a different IP which might be on a better server.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 20, 2010, 01:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Doesn't sound like anything you can do personally to solve this, and I doubt your ISP will disclose any information to you regarding their bandwidth management policies.

They most likely provide business services as well, and that traffic takes priority over residential. As such, they'll throttle residential since majority of people aren't home, to keep the business services at their promised speeds. That's just my guess though.
Old May 20, 2010, 04:40 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Start in the home.... have you checked to make sure that other PCs in the home aren't doing things like running heavy P2P sharing during that time? If you're using a router, have you tried a direct connect to the modem to see if the issue goes away?

It does sound like network congestion though, most cable ISPs have put the infrastructure in place to do away with that kind of issue, however it's possible that your area needs an upgrade to be able to handle peak time loads.

Not completely sure how the cox network works, but my last two ISPs tied the external IP to the MAC address of the device connected to the modem. If that's the case with cox, you can try "cloning" a different mac into the router to try to force a different IP which might be on a better server.
whats infrastrcture? is it an equipment that boost speed? can i request my isp to put that? with no cost?

i suspect it was my area too.... maybe someonething wrong with my area network like wires and that long pole tree or something blocking signal like mountains or rivers ect.... but why remote time? 12 to 4: 30 pm. as im typing right now the problem is happending. slow. unreying connection.

no p2p. all computer is off except 1 pc and 1 ps3.

about cloning ip mac... i dont know anything about that. i dont have knowlege on that.

oh and how to go to my router setting page? i want to check if my router is locked from wireless laptops.... it might be that laptop owners getting my signal and cause the problem. just a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
When you used speedtest.net which city did you test at?
speedtest . net auto show what city i am so i just click it without choosing.
Old May 20, 2010, 04:45 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Doesn't sound like anything you can do personally to solve this, and I doubt your ISP will disclose any information to you regarding their bandwidth management policies.

They most likely provide business services as well, and that traffic takes priority over residential. As such, they'll throttle residential since majority of people aren't home, to keep the business services at their promised speeds. That's just my guess though.

you mean it have a chance that they make residential speed slow at the time when people arent home? 12 to 4:30pm weekday seems like people arent home cause its work hour and school hour. if they do this... it speed up connection else where? am i understanding you right?
Old May 20, 2010, 06:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Infrastructure is the totality of the equipment your ISP uses to get the signal to your house... it includes all of the hardware and wiring (including street level) to provide your service to you. It would also include the total bandwidth that's been allotted to your area.

Best bet is to call your ISP during the time(s) that you're experiencing slow speeds to get them to run tests. The only way an infrastructure issue will be resolved is by complaining to the ISP.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 20, 2010, 08:16 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohee View Post
hi thought it might be normal to be slow when theres alot of people caus cable share speed... people get off work and go to internet and kids get off school and play with internet... but then the slow happend at the time when kids and people still at work and school. 12pm. weekday. so its not normal.
I'd check that there's nothing on your system that's scheduled to run in the background at those time, e.g., boot from a Linux live CD and with just that system on see what bandwidth you get from speedtest.

If you have wireless, make sure it's secure.

After that, it's down to getting your ISP to look into the problem as others have advised. Many people work at home, they for sure can schedule p2p when they're away, and there's always the possibility of infected zombie spambots.