Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2007, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default ADSL2+ in MTL

I've found some companies that offer adsl2+ in montreal and I wanted to share them..
It's about *ZID.COM* Access the Internet with* ZiD.com 24Mbps/1Mbps - 33.95 $ No caps and GoSansFil (their dns is probably down) 24Mbps/3Mbps no caps - 44.95 $

I'm gonna mail zid and see how much of they're speed I can get at my certain location. Thought if adsl2+ is in town why don't I give it a try...
Old November 9, 2007, 09:59 PM
Top Prospect

That's nice but their website looks pretty shitty... and IDK about the service you know...
Old November 10, 2007, 10:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

The website doesn't influence their quality...A guy from dslreports.com is willing to try and see how it's gonna work out. If all goes ok I'm gonna switch to adsl2+
Old November 25, 2007, 10:01 PM
Allstar

I contacted them and 24mbit ADSL2+ is only available in parts of Montreal and Toronto. They offer 5mbit to everyone else. Colba.net also advertises ADSL2+ with the same limitations. From what I've read the 24mbit part is very YMMV.
Old November 26, 2007, 02:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

Colba is a hoax for real..check dslreports.com :)
GoSansfil seems ok but i don't need the 24mbps speed I'll just be happy with a 5mbps and unlimited service from teksavvy or velcom..
Old November 26, 2007, 11:06 PM
Allstar

I checked with GoSansFil.com, Solutions Internet Haute Vitesse - WISP and they told me that ADSL2+(24mbit) and VDSL(50mbit) is only available in a very small area of downtown Montreal and Toronto.
They did tell me that VDSL would be available in my area sometime in 2008, so that's something to look forward to.

He also told me that starting next week they would be having a free installation promotion with their WIFI internet service. They say dual WAN connexion will reach 12Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. I really don't understand how the whole dual WAN thing works.

Edit: I read their forum and this is how they explain it:

Quote:
This dual WAN offer is standard with our Wireless offer. Within your house range(about 500m radius), you can log as many PC that you wish. Outside of your home range, we will allow only 1 user to login (dual login attempt are logged). If you would like to add additional user(outside of your house range), there is a monthly fee of $9.95 (no setup fees - $9.95 per month thats it, you can add or cancel a user anytime - no 30 days notice needed). Additional users accounts are usually set within the hour following the request.
And still no limitations:
-Surfing time
-Download/Upload
ADSL/ADSL2+ is included for free.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by slugbug; November 26, 2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old November 27, 2007, 08:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
This dual WAN offer is standard with our Wireless offer. Within your house range(about 500m radius), you can log as many PC that you wish. Outside of your home range, we will allow only 1 user to login (dual login attempt are logged). If you would like to add additional user(outside of your house range), there is a monthly fee of $9.95 (no setup fees - $9.95 per month thats it, you can add or cancel a user anytime - no 30 days notice needed). Additional users accounts are usually set within the hour following the request.

OK, thats baloney. Internet providers should have no control over who connects to your homes network, wired or not. If I were someone looking for fast internet and lived there (which I do not), that would be a service which I would consider very last. I do a few mini lan-parties at my house and I don't need or want any ISP telling me what I can and cannot do with my homes network.
End of rant.

On the upside:
Wow, service that fast for that price, it better be reliable.
Old November 27, 2007, 10:40 AM
Allstar

It sounds to me like a security measure so your neighbors will not be able to use your wifi connection. Otherwise your connection would effectively be a WIFI hotspot which anyone could connect to.
Old November 29, 2007, 01:49 AM
Top Prospect

Wow you guys beat me to this post. I just signed up for Zid today for where I live in Toronto. Unfortunately they don't have the 24mbps service where I live but it's still a great deal. The way that the internet communications work in Canada is that all the companies technically share the lines to prevent monopolies. So right now I'm using bell and when I switch to Zid in a few days I'll technically still will be using bell but under ZID. This means that I'll be getting the exact same internet that I've had with bell but for a lower price and an unlimited bandwidth cap. In case you didn't know bell/rogers both have bandwidth caps of 60gb on all new contracts now. One other thing. Bell promises 7mbps but Zid promises only 5mbps. This may sound bad but after doing a ton of speed tests my internet never even goes above 4.5mbps so it makes no difference since they use the exact same system. In fact after signing up with Zid, Bell is the one coming over to set up the internet next week.

I will let you know how the transition goes next week.
Old November 29, 2007, 11:45 AM
Allstar

I just checked the GoSansFil.com forum and it looks like the free installation promo for their WIFI service is on.