Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 11, 2010, 05:14 PM
Rookie

Default Colba net voip + wireless + dsl modem suggestion and installation help

So I finally decided to switch my internet connection from bell to colba net which actually save me like 300$. So i got the adsl connection unlimited with internet phone but I haven't buy the modem from them since I think its gonna be cheaper if i buy it by myself.

The problem is I don't know what equipment I should buy and I don't know how to install the colba net software in the modem.
One of the requirement I need for the equipments is a voip for the phone and wireless cuz I have 3 computers all around the house. I don't want to start playing with the cords.

thanx.
Old May 11, 2010, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

COLBA ? Oh man I feel sorry for you already.
Old May 13, 2010, 08:48 AM
Rookie

damn aha, well I heard some good reviews about them and also bad,same for teksavy it was between them I had too choose.

So let's talk about the topic so far I'm down to buy the dir-655 or dir-825, I'm leaning more toward 655 since they have a lot of good comments. The problem is I need a modem and a voip. and it seems so hard to find reviews about that topic.

And another question is it better that I buy seperate things like voip+router+modem or an 3 in 1 is actually much better. :S
Old May 13, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

What's your budget?

Check out the Billion 7404VGO-M / 7404VGPM
Old May 13, 2010, 07:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Please avoid the DIR-655. Terrible router in my experience, none of the current firmware is good. IF you can get one with FW1.21 or older, then you might be alright. Just never upgrade it.

Why not just get the suggested Thomson TG784 modem/voip/router/wireless router?
Old May 14, 2010, 12:32 PM
Rookie

thx for your reply. Imma try to google some review about it, but I can't find it so far. Anyway so I looked at all the forums in the networking section and Thomson seems like a solid brand, imma look forward about it. I forgot to mention were using macs computer, not sure if it's important.
Old May 25, 2010, 01:28 PM
Rookie

just for the update, I finally got colba net with the suggested thomson modem router voip and it works all perfectly fine on my macs.
Speed is 3mb for dl and 200k for upload from tests.
I<ll do another update in a couple of month so people would have some information about the services.
Old May 30, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

Where are you located ? And you mean 3 mb as in 3000 kB/s ?
Old June 9, 2010, 12:17 PM
Rookie

I'm located in montreal st-michel, the 3mb i told you about is based on internet speed test (can't really trust them)
So in real life and daily use I download around 100k to 300k, I barely upload so I can't feedback on this part.

Connectivity: 3.5 on 5
connection is pretty fast wirelessly on all my macs, but with my ps3 it takes time 1 min around, with bell is instantly when you press sign in
---

Speed: 3.5 on 5
it's not that fast when multiple computers are using internet, it lags a bit, not enough to get me impatient, but it lags

on my ps3 playing call of duty it's not as smooth as it was, when multiple computers are using the internet. otherwise it's fine
---

Service: 2 on 5
they are nice people, but they lack experience and customer service, it's way below average
---

Overall Reliability: 3.5 on 5
---

Price: 5 on 5
is the cheapest in the market I found so far, it saves me 400 dollars if I didn't buy the modem, for a year is 450 with internet and voip phone with a year of contract
---

hope it can help you guys
Old January 19, 2011, 10:35 AM
Trial Member

Hello,

do you remember if you have setup your TG784 in a special way to work with Colba ADSL2+? I've heard I should use VPI/VCI = 0.3 and "PPP over Ethernet" (not "PPPoA"), but can't get it to work.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Leander.