Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2010, 01:16 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Powerline networking questions; PLK300 problem log

I have a couple of questions about powerline networking/household wiring. I am sick of my PS3 dropping connections.

1. My most important question: I understand powerline works best when the outlets are on the same circuit. I can figure out the same breaker easily, but is there a 'rule of thumb' or another way to easily determine if two breakers are on the same circuit? I have looked at my panel and I see nothing that indicates the circuit (only labels for the breakers). I want to use two wall outlets that are not on the same breaker, but may be on the same circuit. Both outlets are in a basement.

2. I am thinking of this unit:
Canada Computers - Linksys PLK300, PowerLine AV Network Kit - HomePlug AV technology, up to 200Mbps*
It can span circuits, and seems to review well. I also like that it has a power cord to connect to the wall, and not the box directly (anyone who has tried to plug in two large adapters into one outley knows what I mean).

I plan on purchasing it at Canada Computers in Ajax. If you see something else there that looks better, let me know. I really want the 'corded' connection to the wall outlet.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 8, 2010, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have the Belkin unit and it works well.

The "advertised" speed is wishful thinking, at least for my units. Mine claim 85mbit and I would say that I get about 10 or so.

In answer to your question, *I believe* they will work fine as long as they are plugged directly into the outlet and there aren't separate fuse panels. Mine are currently spanning different breakers in my fuse panel and work fine.
Old May 8, 2010, 01:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I have the Belkin unit and it works well.

The "advertised" speed is wishful thinking, at least for my units. Mine claim 85mbit and I would say that I get about 10 or so.

In answer to your question, *I believe* they will work fine as long as they are plugged directly into the outlet and there aren't separate fuse panels. Mine are currently spanning different breakers in my fuse panel and work fine.
Thanks! maybe I mixed up the terms "phase" and "circuit"?
Fold for team #54196
Old May 8, 2010, 06:56 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Bought the Linksys PLK300 kit. This was my experience with it so far:

1. Plugged it in on both ends, and worked right away at about 78 Mbps. Supposed to do 100 each way so it was excellent and all was good.

2. Tried to enable security. Thats when things got ugly. Never could get security working as per the instructions, and worse, the unit stopped working. I figured 'no prob...the security is messed up, I'll reset to factory defaults using the reset button'. No dice either. Spent a couple of hours trying to reset the darn thing.

3. Downloaded the updated firmware. The utility did not run (you have to run the firmware update utility in XP compatibility mode it seems). Another configuration program i downloaded (that is supposed to help you with settings) would not run at all, no matter what I tried. The update utility (in XP compatibility mode via shortcut properties) was able to find the unit, but would not reflash the firmware as it was already up to date. I was hoping that a firmware update/reflash would reset the settings. that route did not work.

4. Tried in frustration over and over again to reset, and eventually I was successful.

Unit now runs beautifully, but I have read that many others have had issues getting the security to work. Running now without security until I can see another updated firmware.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 8, 2010, 07:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Security shouldn't be an issue, unless you figure someone is stealing your electricity......