Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2010, 01:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm also thinking that I might have buggered up my smp2 install by changing ownership from admin to my user (still full admin rights).
If you can access one folder on W7 but not another, you can pretty much rule out TCP/IP, name resolution and firewall/security apps causes. Odds are it's a permission problem -- remember both CIFS (sharing) and NTFS permissions are involved.

If you're *not* accessing the shares with authenticated logon (using same passworded account on both client and server), then "Forced Guest" mode is in effect, that mean the client (XP in this case) accesses the W7 shared folders using the Guest account, and the shared folder needs to have the read/write CIFS *and* NTFS permission for "Everyone" group.

With Vista and W7 MSFT have made it difficult to add the "Everyone" permission for the core system folders, hence you have to install programs that need to be LAN accessible in %userprofile% or other non-system folders. (Personally I use an "apps" folder under root.)

The way around this is to use authenticated logon. If you use the same user account on both the client and the server (that account must have a password), then that account's credentials are used for accessing the shares instead of "Forced Guest".

In order to troubleshoot NTFS permission problems in LAN sharing, I'll need to know what account you're using in the client (XP) and the ACL of the shared folder. You can use XCACLS from the CMD console to get that folder's ACL.

Quote:
I even went so far as to turn off the "let windows manage my homegroup settings" to see if that was the issue...
W7's homegroup does not work with XP.
Old May 10, 2010, 01:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCV44.2223 View Post
If you can access one folder on W7 but not another, you can pretty much rule out TCP/IP, name resolution and firewall/security apps causes. Odds are it's a permission problem -- remember both CIFS (sharing) and NTFS permissions are involved.

If you're *not* accessing the shares with authenticated logon (using same passworded account on both client and server), then "Forced Guest" mode is in effect, that mean the client (XP in this case) accesses the W7 shared folders using the Guest account, and the shared folder needs to have the read/write CIFS *and* NTFS permission for "Everyone" group.

With Vista and W7 MSFT have made it difficult to add the "Everyone" permission for the core system folders, hence you have to install programs that need to be LAN accessible in %userprofile% or other non-system folders. (Personally I use an "apps" folder under root.)

The way around this is to use authenticated logon. If you use the same user account on both the client and the server (that account must have a password), then that account's credentials are used for accessing the shares instead of "Forced Guest".

In order to troubleshoot NTFS permission problems in LAN sharing, I'll need to know what account you're using in the client (XP) and the ACL of the shared folder. You can use XCACLS from the CMD console to get that folder's ACL.

W7's homegroup does not work with XP.
I'm pretty sure this is what is going on. I can access folders which are setup outside of the "systems" folders, but anything inside a system folder keeps saying that it can't be accessed. I don't have the same logins for each pc, and not really interested in changing that around. (I have removed the password requirement).

Two ways around this in my mind... one is to re-install the smp client in a non-systems folder, and/or (and this is probably the least painful) is to use my win7 rig for the network HFM monitoring of all networked pcs. (I'll have to see if there are any problems running it under win7 64bit).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 10, 2010, 02:45 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Two ways around this in my mind... one is to re-install the smp client in a non-systems folder, and/or (and this is probably the least painful) is to use my win7 rig for the network HFM monitoring of all networked pcs. (I'll have to see if there are any problems running it under win7 64bit).
One thing you can try is to give ownership of the SMP folder to the "Everyone" group -- Owner has full rights and it bypasses W7's restriction to adding "Everyone" to system folders' ACL. There are security implications but in this case it's probably minor if you're just doing it for the SMP folder alone. I would strongly advise *against* doing it at the "Program Files" or any other system folder "root".

I don't have access to a W7 machine atm but I remember changing ownership of a system folder to "Everyone" is not quite as simple as with a "normal" folder, so you may have to dig around a bit.
Old May 10, 2010, 03:11 PM
shaw

It may be a Network security issue, but follow Misoprostol (Linus's...) sticky "How to" and share the root of the drive. How to Share the Root of a Drive Under Vista

Also, there are ways to have a password-enabled account in Win, and have an automated Logon. http://windows7news.com/2009/02/01/a...nto-windows-7/ This way if a password is needed, then you can still restart the computer without having to enter a password.
Old May 10, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

you can try this prog. ,but im not sure if it what you need .. Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old May 10, 2010, 05:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

[IMG]chrome://seoquake/content/skin/menulogo.png[/IMG][IMG]chrome://seoquake/content/skin/information.png[/IMG] Info[IMG]chrome://seoquake/content/skin/links12.png[/IMG] Links: 0|0[IMG]chrome://seoquake/content/skin/density12.png[/IMG] Density
[IMG]chrome://seoquake/content/skin/arrow_left.gif[/IMG][IMG]chrome://seoquake/content/skin/close.gif[/IMG]

I might be wrong but ,I think that you might be going at this the wrong way it has something to do with XP not being able to access windows 7 not windows 7 having access to XP so I think that it is an xp setting. I had a simular problem trying to get my VIdeo files access from my XP HTPC I can't remember exactly what I did and I do know it was on the XP OS side I finally was able to get access but then I just decided that I would just move the XP hard drive to my WIndows7 PC and not use the XP PC.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I had thought of that, but I'm able to access any folders created outside of the programs (system) folders.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 12, 2010, 04:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Heh... so I finally cried "uncle" and took the easy way out by moving the main network HFM monitor program over to the Win 7 machine so that I didn't have to fight with permissions.

I honestly don't understand why, when everybody and their dog has some form of internal network these days, that microsoft would make this such a pain. I do understand the reasoning behind wanting to make folks jump through a few hoops for security reasons, but once somebody has pressed the "yeah, I understand the risks, let me do it anywise" button, there should be no reason to block this kind of internal network access.

I put it down to the dumbing down of OS's that's been happening since VISTA.... they've sacrificed the ability of individuals to customize their own OS functionality in favour of so-called ease-of-use.

You can definitely colour me unimpressed with the whole thing.

Old May 12, 2010, 05:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Assuming you have the same username/password on both computers, I'm pretty sure you could do this:
\\COMPUTERNAME\C$ (this is the default admin share of the entire C drive). Should be able to access Program Files all fine and well.

(Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier though)
Old May 12, 2010, 05:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

As it stands.... I've got access from my XP Pro (legit) laptop, but I also had access from my other XP machines at one time. I'm not completely convinced that this is solely a Win7 permissions issue as I initially had access from the XP home machines, but it's really not worth the hassle to dig deeper into what's going on. If I wasn't running GPU farms without dummy plugs I'd upgrade to Win7 on all of the rigs (might take a fit next week and cut up a bunch of old VGA cables to make plugs with to resolve that issue).

edit: Even though I've got passwords turned off on the win7 machine, I still had to enter a username and password to access the networked Win7 resources from my XP Pro machine....