Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2010, 08:46 AM
Hall Of Fame

Default DSL VOIP + Router

Hi Guys,

I needed some advice on how to setup. I got VOIP installed using a Linksys Voip modem off course, also got a deal with Telus so switched my Internet from Cable to DSL (same speed) for a lot cheaper.

So the DSL is up and running, as well as the VOIP is also up and running, question was where do I hook up my router.

I had a VOIP connection back in the day with my cable internet, for life of me I can't recall if it was Cable Model > VOIP Modem > Router. As far as I remember, pretty sure it should be that way, since Router connects right before the PC (and without Router the PC is connected from the VOIP Modem).
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old May 6, 2010, 10:25 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
I had a VOIP connection back in the day with my cable internet, for life of me I can't recall if it was Cable Model > VOIP Modem > Router. As far as I remember, pretty sure it should be that way, since Router connects right before the PC (and without Router the PC is connected from the VOIP Modem).
I think you have it right, that would be the simplest (the router is the last one before the PCs).

But you may need to reconfigure the router. Normally the router has one connection to the outside world (WAN) and multiple connections (wired and wireless) to your inside network (LAN).

The router would normally be connected to the DSL modem (which represents the WAN) and would get an IP address from the WAN using something like PPPOE. You may not need that, since the VOIP modem might be doing that for you, and getting a WAN address. In this case, the router would connect to the DSL modem like if it is a normal PC on a network: See if you can configure the router's WAN connection to be "Obtain an IP address" instead of "PPPOE" or something else.

Hope it works.
Old May 6, 2010, 11:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

Thanks for PPOE reminder, I could be wrong, though I think Telus DSL is always on kind of thing (like Cable), because I never had to do any kind of username/password (PPoE) setup on my PC, unless it was done by the Telus Rep on my PC (I'll murder than man for touching my PC, techs have their laptop, use that instead... grrr.. :p)

I really have to check how to VOIP modem is connected, I believe the VOIP modem is actually connected first, then the DSL modem, because my PC is connected to the DSL modem and not the VOIP modem.
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old May 6, 2010, 08:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's very likely the VOIP modem is first. It probably has some built in QoS functionality too to limit your Internet speed when you're using the phone. Otherwise your call quality would suffer.

But basically it sounds like the cable going into your PC should be put into the WAN port of a router. However it sounds like your modem is setup in "router" mode rather than "bridged" mode, thus the lack of having to enter a username/password. As such, the modem has it's own DHCP, NAT, Firewall, etc and should have a configuration page (check when your default gateway is, then navigate to the IP address).

If that's the case, I'd suggest changing the modem to bridged if possible. If not, then you'd be best off just buying a switch instead and using the modem's DHCP/NAT/Firewall. This way you'll still be able to open ports if necessary, or by using UPnP, to get external connections allowed in.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

this is how i had my voip/dsl setup with teksavvy. It should be fairly convertable to other providers.

DSL Modem -> Wan on Router
VOIP ATA -> Lan port on Router
Enable QOS on your router and give VOIP traffic highest priority

I used a Linksys WRt54GL running Tomato and a Linksys PAP ATA.

My Current setup. (no logner using voip)

Cable Modem -> Wan port on router
Gigabit Swith -> Lan port on router