Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 26, 2010, 04:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Wireless major slowdowns

Hello,

My father's desktop has been wirelessly connected to the Internet with the same router and same network card for quite a few years (4 at least). Lately his connection has been incredibly slow. It would take him way too long to get any page. I made a test with videotron (the ISP) and while his connection is slower than mine it did not appear outrageously slow. I don't have the exact numbers, but it was varying between half the speed of mine or less. Mine is connected directly through the router.

On my side of things, I have noticed I get more problems too. Not sure if it would qualify as lag, but its still very usable. Its not as constant as it used to be.

Could it be linked to the ISP, to the router, to the wireless card.

I am not home currently, so I can't give the exact models, but will do so as I get home tonight.

Thanks.
Old April 26, 2010, 11:16 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilauea View Post

Could it be linked to the ISP, to the router, to the wireless card.
It could be something wrong with Windows too...

If you have a Linux "live" distro handy, use that to boot up your Dad's system, if the web pages are still slow to load then the problem is likely with the network layers.

If not, try using a different browser than the one that's normally used and see if there's a different.

Sadly, nowadays malware is also a possibility.

With the wireless connection, check the throughput by downloading/copying a large file from your system, if you're getting, say, 10mbps then that's more than enough for web pages and the problem likely is elsewhere. Ways to measure wireless throughput and how to improve it can be found here:

5 Ways To Fix Slow 802.11n Speed

When troubleshooting wireless networking, you need to make sure that your wireless network is secure and no one else is using it (if you're not sure the router logs may help). It's also useful if you can check the signal with a scanner like inSSIDer:

inSSIDer Wi-Fi Scanner | MetaGeek

For example, if a neighbour has added a new AP and its interfering you may need to change channels.

If the problem lies with the ISP, it should affect both systems equally.
Old May 4, 2010, 09:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I checked for virus, for malware, found some, but the problem remains. Read the article about the 5 ways to fix slow downs and it was pretty much already done. Could not manage to install inSSIDer because there was always an error in the process. My router is a Linksys WRT54G.

I did a checkup with speedtest to compare my computer and my father's and besides the utterly slow time for the test to start on his computer, the results are far from bad compared to my computer.

His results:
Download: 2.13 Mb/s
Upload: 0.78 Mb/s
Ping: 14ms

My results:
Download: 7.19 Mb/s
Upload: 0.78 Mb/s
Ping: 5ms

I am far from knowledgeable about those things, but considering his is wireless and mine is wired, I find his results pretty good and as I said aside from the fact I had to wait nearly a minute for the test to actually load, the numbers should indicate there are no problems, right ?
However, there must be something else, which I can't explain.

I was originally thinking of putting him on a powerline, but I am not sure, if changing the router or something else could fix this.
Old May 4, 2010, 08:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Would upgrading my router to a gigabit router or even to a wireless N router (along with a wireless N card) be making a bit change:

1. For the wireless Internet speed.
2. For the wired Internet speed.
Old May 4, 2010, 09:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Would upgrading my router to a gigabit router or even to a wireless N router (along with a wireless N card) be making a bit change:

1. For the wireless Internet speed.
2. For the wired Internet speed.
It may increase wireless speed slightly, but it won't make your actual Internet connection any faster. You have what your ISP provides, nothing you do will really increase that.

Have you tried the typical power cycling of all network devices and computers? That usually fixes problems like this.

Also doing SpeedTest really isn't an ideal test for this problem. Again, that's looking at your Internet speed, not your internal network (LAN/WLAN) speed which is where the problem lies IMO.
Old May 5, 2010, 04:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Have you tried the typical power cycling of all network devices and computers? That usually fixes problems like this.
Alright, so if I understand right, you are suggesting I turn off all computers on my network, as well as my router and modem (for how long ?) in order to fix this problem ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Also doing SpeedTest really isn't an ideal test for this problem. Again, that's looking at your Internet speed, not your internal network (LAN/WLAN) speed which is where the problem lies IMO.
Provided it is my internal network which is the problem, would it also affect the overall internet speed on my wireless network ? I am not talking about speed test, but actual real life situation where the Internet is utterly slow.

Anyhow, I will try your suggestion as soon as I get home tonight, hopefully that will fix it.
Old May 5, 2010, 08:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Provided it is my internal network which is the problem, would it also affect the overall internet speed on my wireless network ? I am not talking about speed test, but actual real life situation where the Internet is utterly slow.
It very well can. Another way to isolate this, would be to plug your computer (and his) directly into the modem. That way you'll know for sure whether it is (a) Your ISP/Internet or (b) It's the PC.
Old May 5, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alright, I did a check up with inSSIDer, not sure what I am supposed to see, the signal strength is fairly constant between -55 and -50 dB m.

I have also unplugged everything network related for about a minute and the results of speed test have not improved on the problematic computer (neither did the overall experience), however, it could be due to peak time I guess.

Speed test results were quite attrocious as you can see:

Now, I am going for direct connect for further investigation.

Edit 2(yes it comes before 1):
Without connecting the computer directly through the modem, but by connecting it through the router via an ethernet cable, I got the same results as my computer which I find satisfying in both experience and speedtest results:

Now I am quite sure the problem is pointing at the wireless connection, but what can be causing the problem and what can I do to fix it ?

Edit:
I doubt the peak time is affecting the connection speed since those are the results of my own computer:

Last edited by Kilauea; May 5, 2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old May 5, 2010, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would assume this is your internet package, so your wired connection seems to be doing really good. Pretty nice ping too.

I would assume you have some sort of wireless interference, try testing the wireless speed in the same room as the router. If the speed improves significantly, something's affecting your signal. If your wireless is 4 years old I'd assume it was wireless G, check for interference from stuff like wireless phones, microwaves, etc.
Old May 5, 2010, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok, now I do not understand anything at all. I have replugged the computer where it was the same way it was always plugged and suddently the Internet is responsive. Speedtest is showing results similar to what i get when connected through Ethernet. This is getting me to wonder if my main connection is handicaped, because I thought wireless was supposed to be slower.

And yes, it is wireless G.