Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2010, 07:34 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Default Am I miss-understanding DMZ?

If I DMZ an IP on my router, shouldn't all traffic on all ports be able to go to that machine? I had a problem on the weeked where we couldn't play RvS. My router had been correctly setup with all the proper port forwarding, but when I re-installed the OS I got a new IP and I didn't want to change all the port forwarding over to the new IP as I know it would revert eventually when the lease expired. I figured I could use DMZ but it would not connect. I eventually got my old IP back by switching to the correct LAN port at which point the port forwarding worked. But really, shouldn't have DMZing that IP worked?
Old April 19, 2010, 07:48 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

DMZ is wide open yes, but the outside world only sees 1 ip address for every computer on your network. Port forwarding is not only for unblocking those ports but for directing traffic on those ports to a specific machine.

Why don't you just set a static ip on that computer?

Edit to add:
If you left the port forwarding on after moving that computer to the dmz, all traffic on those ports would have been directed to the computer that took over that address.

Last edited by Squeetard; April 19, 2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old April 19, 2010, 08:29 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You said your recently reinstalled your OS. Have you made sure that the ports/game is forwarded there too. I don't like windows firewall, as it can be temperamental an cause problems like you are having so i typically disable it and if i need a firewall i use the router.
Old April 19, 2010, 08:34 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Edit to add:
If you left the port forwarding on after moving that computer to the dmz, all traffic on those ports would have been directed to the computer that took over that address.
That would explain it.