Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2010, 03:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default wireless router with built in modem

Need help since I know absolutely nothing about networking.

Been using a DSL modem with phone line since day one (Speedtouch 546), but now the woman wants a laptop with a wireless setup.

Been looking around and I'm really not sure what to do.

Should I get a wireless router to plug into the modem or, should I get a wireless router with a built in modem ???

I do want to keep my desktop hardwired.
Old April 18, 2010, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You already have a modem, just get a router. Something like this:
NCIX.com - Buy D-LINK DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router 802.11G/B Draft N Wireless Router Triple Antenna QoS - DIR-655 In Canada.
will fill the bill.
Old April 18, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, if you're already got a modem, why buy another one?
I can't reccomend anything specific, but I have firmware called DD-WRT on my Linksys WRT150N, and DD-WRT makes it so much better than it was stock.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old April 18, 2010, 04:10 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Perfect,
I just wasn't sure if the Speedtouch was good enough.

Will there be a cable in the router kit to plug it to the modem.

...and should I keep my desk top plugged in the modem or should I plug it in the router ??
Old April 18, 2010, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

How it would work is you put the ethernet cable from the modem (the one going from the modem to your PC now) into the WAN port on the router, and then you plug your computer into one of the LAN ports on the router.
And to my knowledge, most retail routers should come with an ethernet cable or two.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old April 18, 2010, 05:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Excellent !! thanks
Old April 18, 2010, 07:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Though I'd avoid the DIR-655, probably suggest avoiding D-Link all together. I haven't been satisfied with any of their routers as of late.

I'm not sure how serious you want to get into things, but I'd suggest configuring that modem into bridge mode so that when you hook it up to the router, you'll enter your Internet username/password into the router and it will do the connection. That way you'll be able to open ports if necessary.
Old April 19, 2010, 04:14 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I'm not sure how serious you want to get into things, but I'd suggest configuring that modem into bridge mode so that when you hook it up to the router, you'll enter your Internet username/password into the router and it will do the connection. That way you'll be able to open ports if necessary.
This is where it gets confusing for me, will this (bridge) make it safer, better performance or both. There seems to be so many different ways to make a connection and I don't know how and why about any of it.

100% trying to learn...
Old April 19, 2010, 04:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Though I'd avoid the DIR-655, probably suggest avoiding D-Link all together. I haven't been satisfied with any of their routers as of late.

From looking around at reviews I can't seem to find any manufacturer that stands out from the others if you want wireless N. I have used 2 Dlink products so far and they both work satisfactorily.
Old April 19, 2010, 06:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
This is where it gets confusing for me, will this (bridge) make it safer, better performance or both. There seems to be so many different ways to make a connection and I don't know how and why about any of it.

100% trying to learn...
Well networking can get confusing fast. Bridge could provide performance increases but I wouldn't say it's anymore/anyless secure. You'll basically have double firewall and NAT, making it nearly impossible for any inbound traffic to come in. This will surely limit gaming and P2P traffic (even things like instant messaging file sharing) as you won't be able to accept any connections from the outside.

Typically speaking, you want to avoid having more than one router/NAT/firewall/DHCP server on a home network as home network devices aren't designed to allow for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
From looking around at reviews I can't seem to find any manufacturer that stands out from the others if you want wireless N. I have used 2 Dlink products so far and they both work satisfactorily.
Well my DIR-655 is pretty weak. Perhaps you have the older revisions which I hear operate better. My A4 version though tends to get flaky after a few days and needs to be rebooted. SecureSpot, IMO, is one of the main culprits of the failure. It's like pre-installed spyware.

I replaced it with a ASUS RT-N16 running the latest mega builds of DD-WRT. Totally stable regardless of what traffic I put on it. I don't have any huge up-time numbers though since there's typically a new build once a month.