Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2010, 03:41 PM
Rookie

Default USB vs. PCI Wireless Adapters

Due to the layout of my motherboard and location conflict with PCI-E cards, it won't be possible for me to use a PCI wireless adapter anymore. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with both USB and PCI wireless adapters in a desktop PC, and noticed any difference in network performance.
Old April 16, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

I find USB adapters aren't as powerful, personally.

Given a choice of the two I usually suggest PCI / PCI-E
Old April 16, 2010, 04:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

RJ45>PCI-E>PCI>USB

What board do you have is there a Lan port ( RJ45 ) ( Cat 5 ) port conenect though that?

Somthing like This if you need wireless NCIX.com - Buy Trendnet TEW-AI75OB Dual Band A/G 7/5DBI Indoor Omni Antenna W/ Mounting Base - TEW-AI75OB In Canada.

Last edited by ZZLEE; April 16, 2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old April 16, 2010, 04:37 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
RJ45>PCI-E>PCI>USB

What board do you have is there a Lan port ( RJ45 ) ( Cat 5 ) port conenect though that?

Somthing like This if you need wireless NCIX.com - Buy Trendnet TEW-AI75OB Dual Band A/G 7/5DBI Indoor Omni Antenna W/ Mounting Base - TEW-AI75OB In Canada.
ASUS P6X58D. It does have ethernet connection, but the machine is on a different floor, so it's too far from the modem/router for wired connection.
Old April 16, 2010, 04:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default check link

Rj 45 antenna no pci slot
Old April 16, 2010, 06:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

...I'd actually be interested to see how that compares to the rest of the solutions. Ethernet could definitely provide enough power for a good antenna.. I have a feeling though that would be more powerful then USB.
I don't know about better then PCI-E/PCI though.. I would assume no difference there. An expansion slot would be the cleaner solution for sure though, if that's a cosideration.

too bad it's only G though. N compatibility would be helpful!
Old April 16, 2010, 08:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Rj 45 antenna no pci slot
The antenna you linked isn't actually an RJ45 antenna (I had never heard of such thing), unless I'm missing something. It looks like it's just a wireless antenna extender, i.e. you replace the stock antenna on your wireless adaptor with that so you can have it receive/transmit from a location away from your tower to get better signal.
Old April 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well what i would suggest is going to Future Shop/Best Buy and buy whatever signal your wireless router is broadcasting (Wireless G, G+, N) usb wireless network adapter and see what the speeds look like. If you think its too slow, sluggish, non-responsive you have 15-30 days to return it and attempt other more complicated solutions
Old April 16, 2010, 09:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would say return it anyway. Use it as a tester.
FS/BB can almost always be beaten for price.
Old April 17, 2010, 02:41 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i used a Linksys Wireless N USB-Dongle for a while, seems to work fine. Did not feel sluggish. The freedom of placing the USB dongle elsewhere around the desk using a USB Extension cable was nice too.