Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 14, 2010, 12:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Remote Desktop... ow to I get the thing working?

Recently, having my school just remirror all our computers, I found remote desktop has made an appearance. I've been trying to get the thing working from home, but I'm obviously doing something wrong.

I changed the RDC port to an obscure number, and forwarded it to my PC. I got my IP off an IP finder website, and enabled all the fun crap to allow connections. Is there some crucial step I'm missing to make it work? Right now I'm just trying to connect over the internet from a second computer on the same network, perhaps that's screwing it up?
Old April 14, 2010, 05:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just so I can get what exactly you are trying to do, are you trying to remote into your home machine from school or do you want to go from home to the school?

Old April 14, 2010, 06:19 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

did you actually enable the RDC in windows? and the host (server) must be a pro/ultimate version IIRC.

right now i'm not at home but here is what it looks like on WinXP (pro, obviously. done it on Win7 at home but don't remember the exact name of tabs and stuff)

right click on my computer (not sure in english... poste de travail?? :P)
remote desktop control
and there's a checkbox to allow your computer to be remote controlled.

Oh, and there's also a service that must be enabled in order to get this to work. You probably can google the exact name of it..

Last edited by Behemoth-; April 14, 2010 at 06:20 AM. Reason: typo
Old April 14, 2010, 06:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

give us some specs and a topology, please.
Old April 14, 2010, 06:31 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Open system in the control panel. Click the remote tab and enable remote desktop.

Edit: also, you must include the obscure port number in the address when you try and connect. example: 24.64.58.231:3391

Also, use something in the range of 3390-3410 for the port number, I've tried those and they all work.

Also, you need to let that port through as an exception in windows firewall. The remote service in the firewall settings is for port 3389 only.
Old April 14, 2010, 07:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix View Post

I changed the RDC port to an obscure number, and forwarded it to my PC. I got my IP off an IP finder website, and enabled all the fun crap to allow connections.

does no one read these days?
Old April 14, 2010, 11:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm trying to connect from school to home, and the target machine is Windows 7 Ultimate X64. I ticked the box to allow connections. Port is forwarded, and I put it back to the standard port until I get it working on that...

Even through the default port, it still refuses to connect, even over LAN

Last edited by Helix; April 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old April 14, 2010, 01:29 PM
Rookie
F@H

Well, lets work on getting it working on your own local network first if that isn't working.

The target is Win 7 Ultimate 64 as you said. What did you use on your LAN when trying to connect? Can you ping the machine on the LAN? Can you remote into another computer on your LAN from the Win 7 Ultimate 64 box? From any box?

Also, I'm assuming you checked the option that allows connection from any version of RDP? Double check the firewall and make sure 3389 is open inbound. Make sure the "Terminal Services" service is enabled as well.

Topology would be useful, as said. Switches, routers, etc.
Old April 14, 2010, 04:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I used an XP Pro SP3 box. I can remote onto the XP box from the Win 7 one, and a Vista Home Premium SP2 one without any issues. There are a few other computers connected, but they're not professional versions of windows.

I did select the option for any version of RDC, and 3389 is open inbound. TermService is also running.

The network topology is quite simple:

Motorola Surfboard Modem (Shaw)
l
l
DLink DIR-655
l
l
Win7 Box, Win XP Pro Box, Xbox 360 over ethernet

Vista Home Premium Laptop, XP Media Centre, iPod, Wii over wireless
Old April 14, 2010, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

www.logmein.com or TeamViewer - Free Remote Access and Remote Desktop Sharing over the Internet are your friends