Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2010, 08:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default How to Remote into Windows 95?

So I have an old machine, Pentium 233Mhz 32Mb Ram, that is running Windows 95. I want to use this machine as a platform for some good old school gaming.

Now what I would like to do is be able to remote into it so I can leave it downstairs in the basement along with the server. Now I have set up UltraVNC, and I can connect to it but nothing refreshes and the mouse movements are not accurate. I have also installed a remote desktop client but of course that will only allow me to connect to other machines not to it.

Whether it is with remote desktop or vnc I really don't care, I just want to be able to connect to my win95 machine and play some old school games without having to drag it upstairs and hook it up to a monitor.

Old April 10, 2010, 09:53 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Try LogMeIn perhaps? Though I believe Win95 is from before Windows even supported remote desktop, so I doubt you'll find anything that works. If VNC doesn't do the trick, it's unlikely that anything else will.
Old April 10, 2010, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default 95 is DOS

Win 95 is facy shell over DOS . I think it is actualy writtenin in DOS. Try a BELKIN KVM that is compatable to WIN 7.
Better IDea. One of these to your server shopRBC.com :: Belkin 10' SOHO PS/2 and USB KVM Replacement Cable w/Audio

And remote contol your server from your comp
Old April 10, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Try LogMeIn perhaps? Though I believe Win95 is from before Windows even supported remote desktop, so I doubt you'll find anything that works. If VNC doesn't do the trick, it's unlikely that anything else will.

I thought about LogMeIn, but that will go outside of my network and therefore reduce the performance. Ideally I would like it to be something internal so that it can run at what the card supports which is 100MB (I believe, hmm maybe I should check to make sure)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Win 95 is facy shell over DOS . I think it is actualy writtenin in DOS. Try a BELKIN KVM that is compatable to WIN 7.
Better IDea. One of these to your server shopRBC.com :: Belkin 10' SOHO PS/2 and USB KVM Replacement Cable w/Audio

And remote contol your server from your comp
I have thought about doing a network KVM as well but I don't know if there are any that would work with that machine. Plus they can be very expensive.

Old April 10, 2010, 10:43 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Another suggestion: why don't you just make a Win95 VM on one of your more recent PCs and run your old games in that? You could also use DOSBox.
Old April 10, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default KVN to server

Cheep KVM to server and remote controll the server from your comp, ( witch remotes contols Through KVM to 95 comp)( 95 Slaved to server)

Maybe I don't understand KVM
Old April 10, 2010, 10:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Another suggestion: why don't you just make a Win95 VM on one of your more recent PCs and run your old games in that? You could also use DOSBox.
Win95 had a hard enough time connecting to a network under normal circumstances, let alone allowing a remote connection.... wasn't until `98 that they started to get the networking right.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old April 10, 2010, 11:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Yea, I have thought about that as well. I think I was just wanting a good old machine as a pure stand alone and yes if it was upstairs here I would just use the other kvm I have and do it that way. As for dosbox, yes it can do a pretty good job (I have used it plenty) but it is some of the older windows based games that it can't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Win95 had a hard enough time connecting to a network under normal circumstances, let alone allowing a remote connection.... wasn't until `98 that they started to get the networking right.
Believe it or not that windows 95 box detected all of my other machines without an issue. That alone was a huge feat.

Oh and get this VNC started working?!!? How or why I do not know. But that hasn't solved it as it will not let the dos programs display properly. Well back to the drawing board.

Old April 10, 2010, 11:44 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I don't see why a retro gaming machine/VM/DOSBox would need a network connection in the first place. Any games from that era that did actually have an online component are long dead.
Old April 10, 2010, 11:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd either install windows 98 onto that computer since i know for a fact it should be able to support it or do Zach's idea and just run a win 95 image in vmware on your main computer and save yourself all the hassle.