LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5, 2010, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Computer Security

We need a forum for this!

Anyways;

Recently somehow I got a keylogger on my computer. I actually do not download a lot so I'm assuming my little sister (who has only recently been allowed to use my comp from time to time) got it on here.

Since this is the first time I've been aware of my system being compromised I thought I'd check some stuff out.

What are good ways to prevent this from happening? Can anyone make any good security software suggestions?

Anything I can do with my router etc? What about Keylogger removal?

-Cam
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 5, 2010, 12:58 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Comodo Firewall - in Custom Policy mode.. basically tells you anytime a program tries to access the internet. Quite an amazing firewall for being free.
Old April 5, 2010, 01:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

What antivirus are you using?
I run kaspersky antivirus and manual scans with malwarebytes.

Kaspersky will alert me when any software attempts to intercept key strokes or mouse buttons. Like when the logitech setpoint software kicks in after pressing the side button on my g9.
Old April 5, 2010, 02:18 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Microsoft Security Essentials .
Old April 5, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used to run Kaspersky but it ran out; I had been trying out NOD32... I was thinking of picking up the whole security suite from kaspersky since I did really like it.

I'll look up the other suggestions too!

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Microsoft Security Essentials .

Hey this is pretty cool! Is it actually any good?
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old April 5, 2010, 03:37 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Hey this is pretty cool! Is it actually any good?
I wouldn't have suggested it if it wasn't.
Old April 5, 2010, 03:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

NOD 32 is good for trojans and crap you get on USB thumb drives, as far as I know. I have NOD 32 and it works well, but if you want more security I'd suggest one of the firewalls suggested above. Also, I always like checking McAfee site advisor for sites I don't know well.
Old April 5, 2010, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I've installed the microsoft one for sure.. and I'll probably grab kaspersky again too.. you guys think they'll conflict?
Old April 5, 2010, 03:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I only use Avast, seems enough for me. As for Comodo, I use to use it till I found it crashed with Kaspersky :P just a warning.
Old April 5, 2010, 04:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

On my work PC I run Comodo + Vipre Anti Virus. Vipre is actually quite lightweight, so much so that I dont even notice it on the computer (work mandated). I also run Comodo in addition to my antivirus. Since installing Comodo I have never been affected by any virus outbreaks. We had a Conficker outbreak and what saved my laptop was Comodo. You start by configuring Comodo to block all incoming/outgoing traffic. You then train Comodo to allow only the communication you allow for every program. You essentially create network security profiles for all your applications. The beauty of it is that it shows you every connection attempt by every program on your computer. You would be surprised how many times a day Google software attempts to update itself. Java is even worse.

At home I run Microsoft Security Essentials + Comodo. Never been infected.