Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2010, 08:33 AM
Top Prospect

Default tp link ethernet switch

i just picked up a tp link ethernet switch but its a bit odd. it has 5 ethernet ports on the back, but non of them say input or output..so how do i know witch port to connect to my laptop and which port to connect to my desktop? the manual says nothing about it.
Old March 27, 2010, 08:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Switch ports don't have any "output" or "input". Anything that's plugged into a switch port will be able to communicate with any other port of the same switch (barring advanced features like VLANs). So you can use any port.

Old March 27, 2010, 08:41 AM
Top Prospect

ahh i see. jus to dboule check, i plan on connecting my laptop, desktop, and 360 withit to share the connection from my laptop, this will work right?

i apologise for spelliing errors, typing this from :myphone
Old March 27, 2010, 05:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yes it will work, either by bridging your laptop's Ethernet card to its wireless or by enabling Internet Sharing on the wireless card. Pretty much follow instructions from my other post in your previous thread.

With this you'll be able to use your laptop to give internet access to anything plugged into the switch. If that's what you wanted to do from the start though, you might as well have bought a wireless router (they all seem to have at least 4 switch ports) and put it to repeater mode. Anyway, let me know if you have problems setting it up.