Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 21, 2010, 02:19 PM
Top Prospect

Default Bridge connection with laptop

I just recently moved and sadly i don't have a ethernet cable long enough to connect to my PC. So I was wondering if it's possible to share a wired connection to my laptop thats connected to a wireless network?
Old March 22, 2010, 10:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sure is, but depending on the quality of the software drivers for your laptop's network cards (both wireless and bridged) you might not be able to use the optimal solution.

First of all, you'll need to wire an Ethernet cross-over cable from your PC to your laptop. If either NIC has the auto-sense feature, you'll be able to use a standard straight-through cable as well. If the light goes up when you plug the cable in, you're good to go.

Now, for the solutions:

Best solution: Bridge both the wired and wireless NICs on your laptop. On the network connections list in the control panel, select both NICs (hold CTRL and click each of them, they'll both become selected) and right-click your selection, then select "Create a Network Bridge". The exact wording might differ according to your version of Windows. This will create a new virtual NIC called "Bridge 01" or some such. If the network drivers for your cards are programmed properly, this is all that's required. Your PC should receive its own IP address by DHCP from your wireless router, just as if it was plugged into a network switch.

Ugly solution: If creating a network bridge didn't work, you'll have to enable Internet Connection Sharing on your laptop's wireless connection. In the network adapter list in the Network control panel, open your wireless card's properties, then go to the sharing tab. Enable Internet Connection Sharing, then in the "allowed network" list, add your laptop's wired adapter. Click ok, then your PC should be able to connect to the internet. This is less than ideal however, since it will put your PC behind a double NAT (one NAT from your laptop to the wireless router, then another NAT from your router to the internet). You will be able to browse the web fine and do most things, but some stuff might not work right (p2p, game servers, etc).

Just let me know if you need more help setting this up and I'll put up some screenshots.