Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2010, 12:59 AM
MVP

Default TekSavvy Modems

I'm making a switch from cogeco to TekSavvy. I live with my sister and she has a package plan with Cogeco, which includes hdtv, phone and internet. I'm always going over the bandwidth usage and don't feel like shelling out and extra $50 for over usage ontop of the rent I pay here. So i've decided to get my own internet.

Anyways, for those of you that are with TekSavvy, what modem would you recommend that is reliable, fast and futureproof? Is it worth getting a modem they supply, or buying your own? I heard mixed feelings about their all in one (modem/router/wifi) SpeedTouch 585 modems. Some people have said just to get their Speedtouch 516 modem and buy your own router with wifi.

I've never had to actually buy a DLS modem, so that is why I am asking for help. I don't know what would be the best DSL modem to get that would be hassle free and reliable ontop of getting the best speeds.

I know I would need a router as I do online banking, and the router would have to have wifi since my g/f has a wifi laptop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old March 20, 2010, 04:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thomson TN516 Speedtouch ADSL 2/2+ Modem / Router External - DirectCanada

The Thomson/Gentek brand of modem is what you want. You can get variuos models , some with wifi capability. Google around, there was a dealer somewhere in Ontario that had very good prices. The base model modem I linked to works well.
Old March 20, 2010, 09:26 PM
Top Prospect

I'm on day 1 service from TekSavvy today!

I'm on the unlimited bandwidth plan which is extremely refreshing after being forced into a 60GB cap with Bell.

As for the modem, I've got the Speedtouch 516 (the one posted above) and paid virtually the same price.
Old March 20, 2010, 10:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

TP-Link 8616 works great too and it's like $20.
Old March 20, 2010, 11:18 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

The Thompson 516 is a VERY solid modem. I haven't had a single issue with mine since day 1. I'm not even sure if i have ever had to restart it..... But yea, it's got a ton of built in features and it's rock solid. No need to look anywhere else.
Old March 21, 2010, 05:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I use the TP-Link TD 8816 $26.99 works great get full speed and no issues. Actually don't think the modem has even needed a reboot since I got it.

Canada Computers - TP-LINK TD-8816, ADSL2/2+ Ethernet Router
Old March 21, 2010, 07:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I had the ST516 but mine started to act flaky. They also run rather hot too. Replaced it with the TP-Link 8616 (I hate having a modem with router/firewall and crap as I have my own router), and all has been perfect since.
Old March 21, 2010, 02:19 PM
MVP

Is the Thompson 516 the same one you can buy from TekSavvy?

"The peppers fired a warning shot. Some were so loud and echoing that I was later told a few folks in
other aisles had ducked, fearing that someone was robbing the store and firing off a shotgun."
Old March 21, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_pulse View Post
Is the Thompson 516 the same one you can buy from TekSavvy?
yes it is
Old March 22, 2010, 07:29 PM
MVP

Thanks for the help everyone :) I'm just going to get the basic modem and add a router when I decide to :) Unfortunately I had to get the dry loop DSL because my sister is on Cogeco's digital phone line service. I'm a bit worried as I have read a few posts on DSLreports.com with people going back and forth with TekSavvy and Bell because of the dry loop. I have a feeling it won't be a simple hookup, and that TekSavvy will require me to hire a third party to install a new jack or reconfigure the jack.