Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2010, 06:17 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Actually, now that I think of it, you don't even need the 192.168.2.2 address on your PC. I'm used to VLANs segregating subnets nicely but with a home router that's not going to happen . Meaning you can leave your PC on DHCP just fine (but not the server!).

Old March 15, 2010, 06:45 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Alright, I have absolutely no idea how to do any of this

Do I just need to change the gateway or what? Also, for whatever reason my bell modem isn't being detected by my router :(
Old March 16, 2010, 12:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well basically you need to pick a method then... My way is simpler because it breaks things down into discrete steps and it probably a bit easier to troubleshoot down the road - but it requires another ethernet card/port.

Certainly nothing wrong with Spblue's method either just really really pay attention to what he's saying as the one ethernet card will be doing both addresses. Might want to take notes as you do it for later reference as well....
Old March 16, 2010, 05:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I scrounged an old ethernet card(10/100 I think) so I'm just going to go forward with your method, Spblue's looks interesting but undoable as there is no way to connect my Bell modem/router to my main Dlink router.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old March 16, 2010, 09:22 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

A second NIC will work fine, but you can just plug a switchport of the Teksavvy router into a swithport of the Bell's one and that would have worked just fine. Let us know if you need any help configuring everything.

Old March 30, 2010, 06:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Any chance of some help on this again(internet is installed). I thought that Windows would be smart enough to be able to manage multiple networks(yeah, fat chance). I have 2 NICs, any way I can force this dumb bitch to work?
Old March 30, 2010, 07:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What OS is on the Media Server?

I know in Server 2k3 on the Network Connection page there was like Advanced Settings in the menu bar someplace and you could change the order of default NICs. Might do what you want, not sure though. Feature seems to be gone in Windows 7/2008 R2 though.
Old March 30, 2010, 08:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
What OS is on the Media Server?

I know in Server 2k3 on the Network Connection page there was like Advanced Settings in the menu bar someplace and you could change the order of default NICs. Might do what you want, not sure though. Feature seems to be gone in Windows 7/2008 R2 though.
WHS, I tried all that, if I put my secondary NIC as the primary I lose my local connection
Old March 30, 2010, 09:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Can you please tell me what subnets are being used on your media server? Which address is being used by the Teksavvy network card and which one by your LAN. It's hard to help you without knowing any details.

You might also have a default gateway problem. Since both routers are setting a default gateway through DHCP, you'll lose connection to the internet if the gateway is set to your LAN's router (instead of the teksavvy one).

Old March 31, 2010, 05:52 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The real problem(I think) is that the TekSavvy modem is an integrated modem/router 2Wire affair, when I connect it to my switch the ethernet port it is on turns orange rather than green. For whatever reason though I can connect my Rogers modem and my Dlink router to it without any issue....

Am I just stuck because of a really shitty modem here? When I do plug it into the switch, if I try to navigate to it's address(changed to 192.168.1.1) I get nothing happening.