Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2010, 08:26 PM
Top Prospect

Default Wireless frustrations

Greetings,

Just recently purchased a custom build i7 920 with Asus P6T MOBO. It runs great, but I completely forgot to include a network adapter for wireless. I went to futureshop and the guy told me to get a USB wireless adapter, so I did - I even paid extra and got the D-link DWA-160 Xtreme N adapter. I use to have an old D-link adapter and worked great.

The room I have both my new computer and old desktop is not very far from our wireless router. In fact, my laptop - which does not have the best wireless card, receives an excellent signal from the router. I've never had a problem. I was sure that a higher end dual band USB adapter would at least receive the same signal.

I install the D-link, and the connection signal is very poor. It keeps disconnecting as soon as I try to download something, and most of the time I can't even connect.

What gives? Are these USB adapters useless or is there something I'm missing here? I'm using Windows 7 64bit, but was told it would not be an issue.

Thanks,

Julien
Old March 14, 2010, 08:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxJ View Post
Greetings,

Just recently purchased a custom build i7 920 with Asus P6T MOBO. It runs great, but I completely forgot to include a network adapter for wireless. I went to futureshop and the guy told me to get a USB wireless adapter, so I did - I even paid extra and got the D-link DWA-160 Xtreme N adapter. I use to have an old D-link adapter and worked great.

The room I have both my new computer and old desktop is not very far from our wireless router. In fact, my laptop - which does not have the best wireless card, receives an excellent signal from the router. I've never had a problem. I was sure that a higher end dual band USB adapter would at least receive the same signal.

I install the D-link, and the connection signal is very poor. It keeps disconnecting as soon as I try to download something, and most of the time I can't even connect.

What gives? Are these USB adapters useless or is there something I'm missing here? I'm using Windows 7 64bit, but was told it would not be an issue.

Thanks,

Julien
First of all, not trying to be a dick here, but welcome to my experience with wireless. I could get my wireless to connect and it would link up with full strength but after an hour it would just drop for no reason. I even got high gain antennas, used DD-WRT to increase power output, and tuned for best S/N ratio. Nothing helped.

I'm not sure of the guidance of the FS employee.... I can't see why a USB adapter would work better than a full size PCI card but hey, wtf......

Windows 7 would be an asset for you, so it's not the problem.

All I can suggest to try is put the machine right near the wireless router and see if you get full signal strength. If you don't, then you've got a problem with either the router or the usb dongle.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:16 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks,

Well my laptop which only has a 800mhz card (does this sound right???) connects perfectly. We're trying to decide whether to return the USB device and get a proper wireless card - any suggestions?

J

P.S. Also if anyone knows how to rename the computer...when they installed Win7, they used another name (Greg). Now if I rename the computer, say to Jocelyne, it will still say Jocelyne/greg. When I look in user acounts, it shows a folder with the name greg and has a little lock next to it.

Can't I remove that name??? I want it named something else!
Old March 14, 2010, 09:18 PM
Top Prospect

Also...If I look in my device manager, it does show under network adapters the following;

RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Is this Ethernet?
Old March 14, 2010, 09:35 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Also...If I look in my device manager, it does show under network adapters the following;

RealTek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Is this Ethernet?
Correct

Have you tried updated dlink drivers from their site?
Old March 14, 2010, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1K3Z0R View Post
Correct

Have you tried updated dlink drivers from their site?
That worked for my bro.
Old March 15, 2010, 12:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You're not using older portable phones in your house by any chance are you? If so, any chance the base station is located near the new PC?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 15, 2010, 06:59 AM
Top Prospect

Tried new drivers, but nothing worked. It just seems to get a very poor signal (between 1mbs to 6mbs).

How easy is it to install a proper PCI card? D-link has one with 3 antennas for the same price as the USB, so I could just return it.

J
Old March 15, 2010, 07:34 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
P.S. Also if anyone knows how to rename the computer...when they installed Win7, they used another name (Greg). Now if I rename the computer, say to Jocelyne, it will still say Jocelyne/greg. When I look in user acounts, it shows a folder with the name greg and has a little lock next to it.

Can't I remove that name??? I want it named something else!
Sure,

1. Type sysdm.cpl into the start menu search box
2. Click on "Change" to change the name of your computer

hope it helps.

Regards,
Manuel
Old March 15, 2010, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Tried new drivers, but nothing worked. It just seems to get a very poor signal (between 1mbs to 6mbs).

How easy is it to install a proper PCI card? D-link has one with 3 antennas for the same price as the USB, so I could just return it.

J
After you get the cover off it's usually 1 screw and then just insert the card.

I don't expect you'll have much problem.