Go Back   Hardware Canucks > SOFTWARE > Networking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2010, 06:06 PM
Rookie

Default Help me find a wireless router :]

I just need a simple wireless router for my desktop and laptop. I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to networking and routers so any advice would be appreciated.

I have my eye on this one simply because of how many positive reviews it has:
Newegg.ca - LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Wireless Routers

Although, some of the reviews mention installing third party firmware (which might be a hassle/voids the warranty).

Willing to spend as much as $100 for one that is good and reliable, but I'd prefer to spend less than $50. Oh and I download frequently (if that matters).

Old March 5, 2010, 07:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Same router for 59.99: NCIX.com - Buy Linksys WRT54GL 4 Port Wireless G Broadband Router Linux Version 54MBPS 802.11G - WRT54GL In Canada.

It's probably the best wireless G router on the market, with custom firmware installed (Tomato or DD-WRT). You may want to look at wireless N routers, they are faster and have better range, and can be found in the same price range.
Old March 5, 2010, 08:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with SugarJ. I bought a refurbished wrt150n some time ago for $65. I found this one refurbished at ncix in your price range. Don't forget that you will probably need a wireless card for your desktop.

NCIX.com - Buy Linksys WRT160N Ultra RangePlus 4 Port Wireless N MIMO Broadband Router *Refurbished - WRT160N-RM In Canada.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old March 13, 2010, 06:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
I agree with SugarJ. I bought a refurbished wrt150n some time ago for $65. I found this one refurbished at ncix in your price range. Don't forget that you will probably need a wireless card for your desktop.

NCIX.com - Buy Linksys WRT160N Ultra RangePlus 4 Port Wireless N MIMO Broadband Router *Refurbished - WRT160N-RM In Canada.
So I ended up buying the refurbished router recommended by mo power.

But just my luck, it isn't working. All of the lights on the router show connectivity but my computer cannot see the router. I followed the instructions that came with the CD exactly and I didn't have any luck getting it to work. My iPod touch and my computer both couldn't connect to the router. The errors i'm getting are implying I should check the ethernet cable, but I've tried two different cables(one of which is brand new). I've also tried lowering my firewall.

Since it's a refurbished router my guess is that it is still faulty.

Any ideas guys?

Last edited by automatic; March 13, 2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old March 13, 2010, 10:07 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Do you mean you have no internet connectivity, or you can't connect to the router itself?

hard reset the router (hold down the reset button for a few seconds) and plug in an eithernet cable to port 1 (not the wan port), and in your browser type 192.168.1.1, you should see a login page come up.

If not, press windowskey+r and type cmd, hit enter, then type ipconfig /all
One of the wired connections should say IPv4 address : 192.168.x.x
If it says 169.x.x.x or nothing but zeros, something may indeed be up with the router.

I'd personally never trust the setup cds. Manual configuration is the way to go :)
Old March 14, 2010, 02:37 PM
Rookie

My comp cannot detect the router nor is there any internet connectivity (although the LED light for internet connectivity is on).

My ipod touch picks up the wifi signal for the router but the internet doesn't connect.